1998 Yamaha XVS650 Rear drive shaft assembly.

VoodooBurn
This post is 3940 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys,

I'm new here and can't find answers to my question on any of the other forums so please forgive me if I have overlooked it.

I've got a 1998 Yamaha XVS650 Custom and I've been having lots of problems with the drive shaft.

The part I need replaced cannot be ordered seperately as it comes as an assembly and is hellishly expensive when ordered new.

I found a good looking drive shaft assembly on ebay but it's for the Yamaha XVS1100.

Does anybody know if the 1100 Drive Shaft assembly will fit on the 650?

Any input will be appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi and welcome to the YOC, it's usual to do an INTRO before you start asking questions just as if you were meeting new people anywhere else, so if you would go to "new members" section and tell a bit about yourself then someone might be able to help you out, most folks WON'T talk to you till you introduce yourself so it makes sense to get it over with. Just a gentle prod in the right direction as having new folks join in is always a good thing but there are some loose rules that you need to follow, hope you find what your looking for. :jossun:

Hi Voodoo,

Please do not take this badly but could you please first pop over to the new folk area of the forum and give us a little intro about your self. Name, hobbies etc etc but nothing about your bike problems. We just like to know who you are first and get to know you better (see if you have a sense of humor or not)

Once this has been done then its best to post your problem in the "workshop" area as this is where you will get a better result from your question and im sure i can whip something up for you ;)

No problem! Sorry about that, guys.

Off to the intro section!

Do you know what part it is you need for it?

Here is a link to a sight where you can get just 1 or 2 or 3 etc etc parts of the assembly you need.

http://www.ronniesmailorder.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=285880&category=Motorcycles&make=YAMAHA&year=1998&fveh=6930

Hi Noise,

The part I need is the unnumbered gear between part 7 and part 8 in the schematic drawing.

The linear geared part that slides into the coupler snapped off completely and I have to buy the entire rear drive shaft assembly in order to replace that part.

I have walked this road with Yamaha before. There is no way to get that specific part seperately which is why I'm exploring other routes to solve my problem.

Personally, I don't believe the 1100 bits will fit directly as I think they're beefier to cope with the extra torque. You may have to jig them around to make them work.

That part you need - It may be one that a friend of mine has available. He's breaking a '99 650 Drag in the near future, so I'll ask and keep you posted.

Thank you, Ttaskmaster.

I'd really appreciate that!

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick follow up on the problem I'm having with getting my hands on the part I needed.

Turns out that the internals of the final drive shaft on the Virago XV535 are interchangable with those on the XVS650.

At £25, I thought I'd give it a shot.

I'll keep you posted on how things turned out.

It'd probably have cost me more than that just for parts postage, so good find there!!

Bike is still unbroken, as existing customers have taken up a lot more time than expected, mainly because they don't do what they're supposed to, or lie about having done it!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online