Air filter feedback

sixsicksex
This post is 3971 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just wondering if anyone has ever used either a spike air filter or a hypercharger with the butterfly valves as I can't decide on which one to go for and could use a bit of feedback, I know that they aren't really gonna do much power wise and its mainly for looks and to add a bit of depth to the exhaust note but still interested to here owners opinions on things like probs with the hypercharger in the rain and if either of them push your leg out too far for comfort etc, thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

What bike is it for again mate?

Snake oil.

For a dragstar 650 mate

Cynic, yeah I know they're all for show, after the vance & hines short shots, either one of these filters and a rejet I may get the slightest bit of extra torque but nothing noticeable, but like I said, it's to create the noise and look I'm after

Seen the Kuryakin ones fitted to the 1100 and 650 Customs.

Not bad on the 1100. Adds just a bit more grunt and you'll beat a stock 1100 in a ¼ mile drag race, but that's about it.

I'm 5' 11" with 33" inside leg. I would NOT put one on the 650.

It will interfere with your leg, it will not add more than about 2HP to your performance (assuming you have a nice new one and don't mind doing the fiddling) and will be a complete waste of your money.

Better off just buying different pipes and getting the note you want that way. Straight-throughs are nice and loud - I'd recommend teh Gemini ones off eBay... just keep them WELL clean and protected, as they pick up Winter road crap and rust up very quickly without.

Yeah cheers mate, after much thought, I've decided on exactly the same route, the gains will be minimal so do I really wanna spend 300 notes on something purely aesthetic? Probs not, think I'm gonna go with the vance & hines short shots though pipe wise, great sound and no need to re jet...

Sorry for my lateness in replying.

I have short ram air filters on my carbs and straight through pipes on my 650 draggy and after having re-jetted the carbs 5 times the only thing that i gained performance wise is a bit more of that "push you back in your seat.....ness"

Air filters only cost me £15 and new main jets £3!

Hyperchargers are a waste of time and notes for the draggy and as you say are only for looks. there are other performance mods out there for the draggy but are hard to find. (i can show you where to look tho if you want them?)

To be fair Noise, most of the aftermarket stuff I want for the look of the bike is fairly simple to come across, the pipes I've mentioned and the rest is just silly chrome stuff like side panels, control covers on the bars, new drag bars, braided hoses, foot boards and the like, what sort of stuff have you done to yours, any pics about? What part of the world are you in mate?

Side panels, as in the battery and 'glove box' panels?
Yep, easy enough 2nd hand and looking better than the painted ones on the Classic.

Can't say enough about braided hoses - Absolutely fantastic invention!!

BTW - You have the Classic or Custom?

Not actually buying it till next month mate, just buying up all the bits I want in advance, but custom all the way mate, it's the rear mud guard / fender that sets it apart for me

Oh, and yeah, battery and " glove box " mate

CHROME!!!!!! :barf: Ha ha sorry i just hate chrome, rather be riding my bike that polishing the fucker.

If you click on the link in my sig your see my bobber project with many a picture and videos. and im down in sunny Somerset in Yeovil.

I had floor boards on my Draggy when i first got it and in my opinion they are OK if your going to do long long distance on them but for nipping round corners they are awful, i trapped my foot between the board and gear lever when i lent over, grounded the board bending it up on its spring. not cool :shakeno:

Oh, and yeah, battery and " glove box " mate

Custom should have them fitted as standard.

Can easily find you a 2nd hand pair, though.

CHROME!!!!!! :barf: Ha ha sorry i just hate chrome, rather be riding my bike that polishing the fucker.

That's what Prospects are for!!

Oh... wait... :hah::eusa_doh:

Hahaha C##T!!!!!!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online