strange noise in my xvs650 engine

homer382
This post is 3982 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all hope someone can help.

im getting a noise from my engine when i reach 50 / 60 mph mostely in 5th gear. can anyone give me a suggestion on what this might be? im spose to be riding down to my holiday van next month and im concerned that there's something wrong..

ive now also aquired a whistling noise now... any info or suggestions will be greatfully appreciated...

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

what dose the noise from the engine sound like? i just recently had a noise come from the engine and now its fooked.

where to check for oil............? try checking the engine oil level.

hard to explain but ill try.. its like a rotating whirr..

I do check the oil level every other day as i do a lot of miles. i did a full service on it last week hoping that might be the reason but its still there..

Best course is a process of elimination really, what have you done that might be responsible for the noise? Have you fitted anything like mirrors or indicators to the bike or have you moved something that could be the cause of your problem? Moaning (wife) Whining (kids) or is it more a matter of rattle thump or groan? Plus the obvious is the whistling in your helmet not the bike at all. On a more positive side to things if it's making a noise in 5th does it make the same noise in 4th at the same speed? If not then it might be a gearbox fault does not have to be serious could be a stuck selector or worst case might be a bearing going or even the drive shaft might need to be looked at could be a loose nut. Would help if you could identify where the noise seems to be coming from front back left right? Might be a wheel bearing, easy to check, running out of ideas here!!! Will wait to see what you come up with. :jossun:

My noise started as a tapping sound, then progressed to a pulsating vibration, then into a louder tapping sound which then progressed into NO sound at all just lots of white smoke from the breather pipes and exhaust.

If yours starts to sound the same then id advise you to stop riding and get stripping the engine other wise your pushing her home as was I.

Thanx for replying guys as far as i can hear the whining is only in the 5 th gear ill crank her up in a higher gear on the way home and have a listen and see. gonna change the diff oil tonight and see if that might be the reason as i have been informed it should have been changed at 15,000 miles.

Christ Homer how long has the oil been in there!! 15K seems an awful lot of miles I do mine ever 2nd oil change about 5K, not saying your wrong or anything but does seem an awful lot of miles before changing it. :jossun:

i bought the bike at the end of march so i cant really say how long the oil has been in there thye bike had 17,000 on it when i purchased it from the dealer.. i think ill change the oil and see what happens.. ive also ordered a new clutch plate kit plus new heavy duty springs as well just incase so fingers x..

i bought the bike at the end of march so i cant really say how long the oil has been in there thye bike had 17,000 on it when i purchased it from the dealer.. i think ill change the oil and see what happens.. ive also ordered a new clutch plate kit plus new heavy duty springs as well just incase so fingers x..

just notice where your from slice.. i bought the bike from bransons in gloucester

Good ideas there Homer good luck, hope your trip works out and the bike behaves.

Yeah, know the shop but never been in there next time your up this way pop in for a cuppa.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online