Yamaha xvs 650 dragstar battery problems

Stusmith74
This post is 3924 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all, just charged the battery two days ago and it's gone flat again. I did a four mile trip stopped for five minutes and it just would not start. Kind of hopeing the battery is knackered and not anything else, although it seemed to charge ok on Sunday. Any thoughts would be greatly received.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Stu, Welcome to the YOC, might be an ides to do an INTRO (new members section) before you start off with a question, just like anywhere else really you don't start off by asking strangers for advice before you say Hi. Most will not talk to you before you say Hi. Check your voltage output to see that is ok before you buy a battery might be a fault with the bike and not the battery, just connect up a meter and see what the output is first. :jossun:

+1 for the intro, but sounds like a shagged battery to me, just because it seems to be taking a charge doesn't always mean it has. I changed my battery last year for exactly the same reason, charger said it was fully charged only to go to it the next day and it was flat again.

As previously said:

1. Intro's are a good thing

b. Test your charging voltage on the bike - should go up to about 14.5v when revved, if it does then the bike's doing it's thing properly so ...

iii. Get another battery on it. From the symptoms it does sound like the battery is a goner, but ....

x. If the charging voltage is not around 14.5v then it's a good bet the reg/rec has gone bye-bye (or worse, the alternator's gubbed, but that's very rare).

Likely reg-rec.

• 2 months later...

Hi, maybe a bit late to answer to your battery problem but when i bought my dragstar 400 (second hand) ,i always had electrical problems ,would not charge well, difficult to start , ... i discovered that i had corrosion in the regulator connector,this regulator is really not installed at the best place ,right at the back of the front wheel,he recieve all the water he can get in bad weather; i replaced it with a new one in a new location, i installed it under a solo seat on springs so i have a lot of clearence, on top of the regulator i fixed a small 12v electric fan (the one used in electronic and computers) it goes on as soon i turn ignition key on, consume nothing ( 0.03amps) , perfect place , always dry , since ,no more problems ! So , Check well all your connections, especially the one on your voltage regulator, Cheers.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online