dt125r rear spindle question

cathunter
This post is 4041 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi i've got a question. i took my rear wheel off my girlfrends dt 125 r 1996 model and found the threads on the spindle stripped off so i brought a secondhand one of ebay in good condition its exactly the same apart from it has'nt got the hole in the end of the spindle where the split pin goes in. is this safe to use as long as i tighten it up to the right torque .or does it need the split pin to stop it coming undone? any help would be appreciated thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Without the hole. That spindle should have 2 nuts. One thick one that actually tightens things up and a thinner lock nut you tighten against the first.

Some Yamaha model had a Lock Nut fitted its like a Nyloc nut but without the Nylon bit. I would drill a hole in it and fit the oem nut.

thanks guys i might get a lock nut for it. but the only problem is there is only 5mm spare on the thread when the nut is fully tightened.but don't know if i will be able to get a lock nut that thin . cheers again

thanks guys i might get a lock nut for it. but the only problem is there is only 5mm spare on the thread when the nut is fully tightened.but don't know if i will be able to get a lock nut that thin . cheers again

Then its the wrong spindle. Personally in this instance i would look for another.

Engine fails, you stop. Electrics fail you stop.

Wheel spindle fails then crashing painfully is very high on the party list. Some things i will happily bodge. Wheel spindle isnt one of em.

hi thanks for the advice its appreciated .I am actually going to bolt it all together then see how much space is actually left for the proper locking nut. If its not working out right then i am looking to re-order one with a split pin hole. I am concerned now as its my girlfiend riding it and don't want to fix a dodgy back spindle !

So thanks again for any help.

thanks for helping me out im going to go with your advice and drill it out to be on the safe side.if i drill it out i assume i will be able to thread the nut over the hole without rethreading it

You've got to make sure that you drill through accuratley with the centre of the spindle, or you may not get the split pin in through both castellations. Its possible that where the drill breaks through, it may leave a burr of metal hanging on. You should be able to carefully whip that off with a needle file. Run the nut up and down a few times before fitting it to the bike to make sure its clear. Copaslip the threads on final fitting

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online