Q plate

Triplespeed
This post is 4040 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

As my newest aquisition will not be following my usual purist lines i was wondering what makes a bike a Q plate.

At the moment the frame is from a DT50 , the forks are from a TS125 (apparently) but there is no engine at the moment. My idea is to ascertain the frame date by its number then apply for a V5 but im a little unsure in which order I should be doing things.

Any help would be most appreciated

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Aye triple" you can get forms " vehicle made from Classic parts" this will get you awa from the Q plate, :jossun: , inspection will be called for,

If you get a dt engine for it you can get an age related plate. Dont be shouting about the ts forks and you'll probably be ok.

If you get a dt engine for it you can get an age related plate. Dont be shouting about the ts forks and you'll probably be ok.

I never had an inspection....

I've owned 2 bikes on Q plates. One was my xs1100. The reason for the Q was an indeterminate age. I contacted Yamaha UK and got a dating cert telling me the date of manufacture and the market it was sold (Europe). I presented this at the Glasgow DVLA office and was given a T plate (1979)

The other is my Triumph Speedtwin. Bought on a q plate but with matching numbers. I contacted the TOMCC and got a dating certificate and once again presented this, plus photos of the bike, and the frame and engine number, to DVLA. This time I had to take the bike to my local VOSA to get it inspected. A few days later I was given an age related plate.

Whilst at VOSA, I was chatting to the inspector who asked me "Is the bike rebuilt from parts, or assembled from parts" I asked his intepretation and was told rebuilt implies using the original parts and reassembled meant from a collection of parts not necessarily from the same bike. Needless to say I opted for rebuilt from parts, and as I say, I was issued with the age plate

thank you very much for your help fellas, its nice to know there is help out there.

I will try to get the year of the frame first off to make it easier on myself.

the thing that has been surprising is the lack of dt50 parts on ebay and downloadable manuals are no where to be seen. Still, it gives me something to be getting on with

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online