Passenger Seat Grab Strap

Campaman
This post is 4098 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Went out for a ride on Sunday to do a little shopping with the wife on the back of my 650 Dragstar Classic.

We parked up in Kettering next to another Dragstar, it was a custom, but the wife noticed it had a grab strap at the front of the passenger perch, she then asked why she hadn't got one on my bike, errr don't know replies me....

So, should the classic have one or were they just fitted to customs? If they were fitted to both (I cant really tell if there is a mount for it or not) anyone got any idea where I could get one from?

Cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yer both of them have them fitted, (my custom did) im guessing that the previous owner of yours must have removed it when taking the seats off.

They mount on to the rear fender using the same bolts as the riders seat. (if i remember correctly)

It was the first thing i took off my bike as after a while they start to look shit with all the pulling they get from the pillion they soon go floppy. Have you got a sissy bar? if not id say get one of them rather than a flimsy bit of leather to hold onto.

Check it's not under the pillion seat. You can always get one sewn on

Cheers guys for the info, must have been removed then as there is nothing under the seat.

I already have a sissy bar fitted, so she can make do with that, she works in accounts so is a bit OCD with things, if something should be there she wants it there.

I will tell her its my bike and she will have to put up with it :spin2:

TL:DR?
It's a pointless styling accessory. Don't worry about it.

She will have a far more secure ride either reaching somewhere around the small of her back and gripping the backrest uprights, reaching around and hugging you (no funny business here - This is a family forum and your focus should be on the road!), or simply keeping her hands on her knees and relaxing.

The pillion strap does absolutely FUCK all in terms of... well, anything that I can imagine.
On a pillion pad like that, it's bloody awkward to get even one naked hand under it, let alone two gloved hands. Heck, I have a tight squeeeze just getting the pad back under it when refitting, let alone someone actually using it while riding.

Dynamically, it's pointless.
Try it - Sit atop a high stool, grab the front edge and lean back - Notice two things:

1/. Your chosen anchor point is pretty much the same as your pivot point, which does nothing to secure your centre of gravity - Your upper body still tilts rearward to the point where you will fall off the back, feet flailing in the air.

2/. If you do manage to get in a suitable position, every time your body tilts back, your wrists crush your nuts to hell!!

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online