Brake disc dilemma (XJ6-N)

Smiley1244
This post is 4094 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All,

Did a stupid mindless thing the other day and tried to drive off with me disc lock still on . . .IDIOT!! I'm normally religious about taking it off before I stick my lid on but something distracted me.

Luckily no damage to the forks or calliper but I have popped one of the "floaty bits" on the disc though. I’ve had the disc on the lathe and it’s not bent but as there are only 5 out of 6 fixing now holding the disc it’s getting replaced.

I’ve been looking at the Armstrong discs as they seem reasonable (http://www.msa-direct.co.uk/armstrong-front-brake-disc/yamaha-xj6.html), anyone used them? Experiences? Recommend something better?

As I need to change both discs plus pads I figure I might as well go the back too :)

I'm only road based so I don't need the best performance.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Look alright to me, just don't buy those cheap chinese discs on ebay - they are utter rubbish (no need to guess how I know :eusa_shifty:)

A tip with disc locks - always park facing a wall etc, so that you have to wheel the bike backwards: no chance of riding off with the disc-lock left on.

I have done it more times than I care to mention. With my bike only been a little 125 it never causes damage. You can get illuminious plastic bungee cords for about a quid of eBay that attach to the disc lock and then to your ignition.

I've tried to ride off three times with the disc lock still in place even with the bright yellow curly wurly cord in place, and I have found that the only solution is as pilmin, pilling, pilninggas says is to park the bike facing something so you have to pull it out. And it has cost me a set of discs, only one was damaged but I replaced both at the same time.

It would be interesting to know how many others have tried to ride off with the disc lock still attached?

The thing is I do feel safer with it on especially in the morning when I'm running it up to warm the engine up while I'm getting my gear on indoors.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online