LS2 Gear oil

LS2
This post is 4113 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi folks.

In the manual for my Yamaha LS2 it says the following about filling of gear oil:

Pour transmission oil through the oil filler in quantity marked in relief on the right hand side of the crankcase cover.

What does "marked in relief on the right hand side of the crankcase cover" mean? Remember I am from Norway, and english is not my native language :eusa_whistle:Beside the text there is a picture showing a hand holding the oil dipstick half way out of the filler hole.

Does it mean that I must fill oil utill it reaches between two lines moulded into the rubber on the dipstick, or does it mean that the quantity in litres are stamped on the crankcase cower?

Anyone?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi

I believe the manual means, that near to the filler hole the casing has the requred quantity marked/stamped/ or set into the casting, just like it reads. 'Made in Japan' marked in relief on the casing of this gear cover, 28785_3497179047008_1996175910_n.jpg

Hi LS2

Just above the "Pour transmission oil through the oil filler in quantity marked in relief on the right hand side of the crankcase cover" it says "Motor oil : SAE 10W30 Recommended oil : 750cc (0.8 US qt) " in the manual I sent you. If you look in the vicinity of the oil filler on the right hand case you will probably find 750cc stamped on it. 750cc is the same as 750ml which is usually the amount you replace after you drain out the old oil. Usually to just check the transmission oil you check with the bike upright on the main stand, unscrew the oil filler/dipstick, wipe it clean then just rest it on the filler hole without screwing it in, take it out and check the oil mark which should be between the marks at the bottom of the dipstick. Remembering to screw the oil filler/dipstick back in if OK. Hope his makes sense.

Tony

Thank you both.

I cannot beleve how I could have missed that information in the manual. I mean, the type of oil I discovered and purchased, but somehow missed the quantum. I read it many times looking. Well, I am 52. That must be it :bawling:

I will also look for the markings on the cover....again.

Problem solved :thumb:

Ok. I filled 750 ml (7,5 dl). I found the stamped sign on the cover saying 750cc.

After that I checked the level with the dipstick, and the level was way over the two lines at the lower part of the stick. About half way up the stick.

I guess the level will drop some when I start it and let it run for a while?

Cannot start now because of some stuff.

Usually to just check the transmission oil you check with the bike upright on the main stand, unscrew the oil filler/dipstick, wipe it clean then just rest it on the filler hole without screwing it in, take it out and check the oil mark which should be between the marks at the bottom of the dipstick. Remembering to screw the oil filler/dipstick back in if OK.

As you already know the quantity figure on the casing is the amount of oil required to fill the gearbox from completely empty, If your bike had just had the oil drained out and if the bike was leaning on the side stand when drained, there may be a few CC’s of the old oil left, However the new oil could take time to settle and fill all the cavities of the gearbox, perhaps you could turn the gear box by hand to encourage the oil to settle then recheck the level with the dip stick, but if after running it for a short time the level is still too high its quite easy but a bit messy to drain a small amount out, I have a small syringe from a Printer cartridge refill set that I can use to draw a few CC's of oil from the casing If I ever overfill my DT,

As nayruf has said the quantity i.e 750ml is the amount to refill after you have drained the old oil out. Should have said it's also best to drain the oil out after a run so the oil is warm enough to get all the old oil out and also helps it drain out quicker. As you and nayruf have said check it after you have run the engine to settle the oil. I know on the old RD200's which had a similar engine to yours after you refilled the oil with the quantity on the side case the oil would come right up to the filler hole but once run the level dropped as the oil equalised between the cases.

I am sure it will be ok. I did not run before draining, but the bike stood without oil for 3 days before i filled new oil. I had to buy a new gasket. More oil came out when opening the plug after the 3 days. The bike stood on the main stand.

Thank you for good help people. :headbang:

Ok. I filled 750 ml (7,5 dl). I found the stamped sign on the cover saying 750cc.

After that I checked the level with the dipstick, and the level was way over the two lines at the lower part of the stick. About half way up the stick.

I guess the level will drop some when I start it and let it run for a while?

Cannot start now because of some stuff.

Dont run the engine with too much oil in it. This can cause problems with oil pressure and damage the engine

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online