Classic vs Custom

jimmy
This post is 4132 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Alright folks

As I have said earlier, my boy passed his mod 2 last week and wants a Virago. I am trying to steer him in the direction of an XS650. Looking at a few on fleabay and they look good to me.

Am I wearing rose coloured specs, my mate had one back in the day, and I really liked it (I never told him tho as I owned a Bonnie at the time and the xs was a jap imitation of a real bike :whistle:) .

He likes the look and sound of the virago but I'm trying to convince him the xs is just as good if not better.

What says the collective?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

depends, does he like riding or fixing?

the xs will be a great bike but will need fettling depending on condition etc

the virago's will be more dependable (depending on condition)

boils down to back lane scratching or cruising the highway/posing

Cheers Drewps

He likes riding and I do his maintenance. The virago would be a lot better for him re maintenance, he doesn't even adjust his chain (my fault I know, too soft), but I think the old Yam is a far better bike.

Heres one on fleabay at the moment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-xs-650-SE-/281049430729?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item416fd9fac9

that's a latre one, a "custom" bike.

I do like the xs650 (prefer the XS1 version with drum brake meself)

just looking at them i prefer the xs650... but thats just down to asthetics.
i think a V engine is a better design than a twin.. But id still prefer the xs if i had the choice.. But I dont lol.

Cheers Drewps

He likes riding and I do his maintenance. The virago would be a lot better for him re maintenance, he doesn't even adjust his chain (my fault I know, too soft), but I think the old Yam is a far better bike.

Heres one on fleabay at the moment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-xs-650-SE-/281049430729?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item416fd9fac9

i know this wont sound nice but the intention is good

but would'nt it be best to let him make the choice and for you to stop doing his maintenance

let him ride his choice till it breaks because he has'nt maintened it then help him with advice to fix the problems when they come

that way he will learn the hard way why we maintain our bikes and it will maybe learn him the values of riding

my pops was fed up repairing my bikes and i didnt give a toss if anything happened coz i knew he would fix it

untill one day he could'nt do it anymore

i learned the hard way to fix bikes and to appreciate what my pop did more!!!

• Like 1

i know this wont sound nice but the intention is good

but would'nt it be best to let him make the choice and for you to stop doing his maintenance

let him ride his choice till it breaks because he has'nt maintened it then help him with advice to fix the problems when they come

that way he will learn the hard way why we maintain our bikes and it will maybe learn him the values of riding

my pops was fed up repairing my bikes and i didnt give a toss if anything happened coz i knew he would fix it

untill one day he could'nt do it anymore

i learned the hard way to fix bikes and to appreciate what my pop did more!!!

Hey Gizmo

I kinda agree with you, but I cant seem to help myself and his attitude is probably the same as yours was...my auld man will fix it. Maybe I will step back a bit when he gets his new bike

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online