Yamaha XV535 - Tempted!

piemuncher
This post is 4180 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

I've posted a few times on this forum with various issues and questions! Currently I've got an SR 125 1997, Thundercat and Vespa ET4. I sold my Mobylette AV89 a few months back and am now looking to sell my SR125 as its now not insured. So, in summary I can go very fast or look very city-boyish on the Vespa. (I can't go for a relaxed cruise though....)

I was on ebay looking at the values of SR125's for when I put it up for sale and happened to trip on a few XV535's for sale. My SR125 is seemingly worth £300-600 (coincidentally, the same as I paid for it 4 years ago.. Weird), and there's a few XV535's on the net for the £800-1400 bracket. I've seen an american import up for £1200.00, its a 1986 with cut pipes and flat bars and 32,000 miles.

From the info I've gained off of this forum and others, I understand that the mileage isn't much of an issue due to the unstressed nature of the engine. I'm also aware that the 1986 bikes have a ridiculously small tank (but in my opinion, a really good look). I'm a little unsure as to its value though, as this one doesn't seem to be any cheaper than the newer models with the 13l tank - Surely that should effect value?

I'm just looking for a little guidance really! I'm 22, 5'11 and 17 stone so not small, and I'm aware that the bike (like the SR125) was made for the 'smaller rider' market. I'm prone to an impulse purchase, so any wisdom or advice would be appreciated!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'm also 5' 11", with most of that height coming from long limbs.

Back when I was younger, I wanted a 535 (mainly because Gary Numan had one at the time). Having subsequently tried both the 535 and 750 Viragoes, I have to say they were very cramped. I briefly borrowed a 535 with outrigged footpegs but not only was it still awkward, the pegs decked out very early.

That's a major reason why I went with a Dragstar.

You make an interesting point - I'm more long torso than arms and legs.... Maybe worth going and test riding one first then... I quite like the look of a Dragstar but I think its just a bit big...

Food for thought though, thanks!

Yer im with Tasky, the dragstar is a much better bike, its not actually much longer or taller than the 535 just a more beefier looking bike. My mum had a 535 and she is about 4ft and a fag end so it fitted her very well but she said it handled like and bag of shit of caster wheels and she was grounding the pegs on most roundy belts.

But in my personal opinion (as said in another thread on 535's) i think they look shocking bollocks and are best suited with studs, leather chaps and a certain pride flag. But again thats just my opinion. Test ride one, see the light and get a proper cruiser. ;)

Don't get me wrong - The Viragoes are a good range, right to the top. Just not suited to what I personally wanted.

The Dragstar *looks* bigger because it's long and low, but the 650 actually has slightly less power/torque than the 535. As mentioned, try both out, see what you like best.

One good thing about Cruisers especially is not only the range of available accessories, but the degree to which you can customise it yourself. I personally avoid shiny pretty chrome and all that crap, preferring something that currently looks like it rode in straight from the desert in a post-apocalypse movie. With a bit more cash and time, it will look so fucking bad-ass it'd put Mad Max to shame!

But that's the whole point of riding a Custom. To me it's not just about decking your Cruiser out with a 'unique' combination of whatever (expensive and usually chromed) accessories are available, for which you might as well ride the Classic version of a Cruiser, but adding properly unique custom bits to make it truly individual.

Mine is done to meet my requirements and be comfy to me.

Hi all,

I've posted a few times on this forum with various issues and questions! Currently I've got an SR 125 1997, Thundercat and Vespa ET4. I sold my Mobylette AV89 a few months back and am now looking to sell my SR125 as its now not insured. So, in summary I can go very fast or look very city-boyish on the Vespa. (I can't go for a relaxed cruise though....)

I was on ebay looking at the values of SR125's for when I put it up for sale and happened to trip on a few XV535's for sale. My SR125 is seemingly worth £300-600 (coincidentally, the same as I paid for it 4 years ago.. Weird), and there's a few XV535's on the net for the £800-1400 bracket. I've seen an american import up for £1200.00, its a 1986 with cut pipes and flat bars and 32,000 miles.

From the info I've gained off of this forum and others, I understand that the mileage isn't much of an issue due to the unstressed nature of the engine. I'm also aware that the 1986 bikes have a ridiculously small tank (but in my opinion, a really good look). I'm a little unsure as to its value though, as this one doesn't seem to be any cheaper than the newer models with the 13l tank - Surely that should effect value?

I'm just looking for a little guidance really! I'm 22, 5'11 and 17 stone so not small, and I'm aware that the bike (like the SR125) was made for the 'smaller rider' market. I'm prone to an impulse purchase, so any wisdom or advice would be appreciated!

The Viragos are capable of high mileages, they are robust and reliable, and easy to ride. Bags of spares available, hold their value, cheap to insure. I cant advise on your fit, try one an see.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online