Please help massive mistake!!

Imagination
This post is 4196 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Someone please help in a rush this morning i filled my bike with £4 worth of diesel so to be acurate i can fill my bike with nearly £14 so filling up £4 of diesel then £6 of unleaded meanin there was approx £3 of unleaded in the tank already... I feel its right to drain the tank now but a guy who knows a thing or two about bikes has said it should be ok. Help is much required and appreciated... When i smell the tank i cant smell diesel just petrol.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Drain it all out, plus the carb float bowl too!! hopefully you realised your error before you tried to start it up?, then FILL tank up with petrol again, and then you should be o.k. My missus did this a few years ago but put petrol in the diesel Omega, one local garage wanted £100 to drain the system too! the robbing barstewards, if needs be, you can get away with about 20% mixture of diesel to petrol, and visa versa I think it is

Drain it all out, plus the carb float bowl too!! hopefully you realised your error before you tried to start it up?, then FILL tank up with petrol again, and then you should be o.k. My missus did this a few years ago but put petrol in the diesel Omega, one local garage wanted £100 to drain the system too! the robbing barstewards, if needs be, you can get away with about 20% mixture of diesel to petrol, and visa versa I think it is

It is about 20-25% diesel... Really not sure wha to do. Think im going to call my insurance as im fully comp will they help?

did you try and start it then?

You'll be fine, just drain it all out into a jerry can/petrol container, like I said earlierdilute it right down with more petrol and use the fuel for your lawn mower if you have one.

You'll be fine, just drain it all out into a jerry can/petrol container, like I said earlierdilute it right down with more petrol and use the fuel for your lawn mower if you have one.

Thanks alot mate. Appreciate your help on this! :)

best to drain it. it should be easy enough. just remove fuel pipes from carb end and put them into a big enough container. drain it all then run some clean petrol through it as well. and when you have drained it, if you have a fuel filter replace that as well.

it might still smoke a little for a few miles after then new fuel is in but that should go away soon enough.

I wouldn't involve the insurers, this will just over complicate things and increase your premium. As above, just completely drain the tank and carbs.

Feel for you mate, must be a right head fuck.

I agree, keep the insurers out just a phone call can count as a claim with some Companies...If it ran and got you home, I would shift it as fast as you can and put a tank full of some Super-Unleaded in as Super has little or no Ethanol in it at all, which is just another "Gummy" additive. This really ought to act as a sluicing agent and you may well get away with it nicely..It wouldn't be a bad idea to go on a decent run after switching fuels just make certain.

Easily done Mate.

Cheers

Bonnietiler

Drain it and refill with petrol i did the same to my Honda 650 a couple of years ago , did not realise it until it was a pig to start the next day , just drained the tank and filled with petrol again and rode on no ill effect at all and that was 50/50, If anything i reckon it gave it a decoke , cos i got it started and gave it a thrash up the road before i saw what i had done

Thanks for all your help guys bike was drained insurers were contacted but told me as its human error and not machanical they will charge so i thought not for a job i can do myself... Engines running clean agen :) and grouch "head fuck" u have no idea my missus due date was yesterday shes due to drop any minute so yea really need the transport at the mo! :/ thansk again all!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online