Front forks Removal ~ Zeal

GarnZ
This post is 4209 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Sorry, I think I placed my query in the "Bar" initially. Anyway, here it is in the correct area.

How do I remove the front forks from the Zeal which hasn't got a centre-stand?

There doesn't seem a suitable point to jack the front of the bike to do the job!

My thoughts are ~

Make up a dummy side-stand for the opposite side! Not sure where balance point is!

Pass a solid bar through a gap in the frame (tank removed) and support it on two saw-horses.

Help is needed ...

RegardZ.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yeah I can see your problem gar..

Looks like the pipes pass under the motor so they would have to be removed to lift the engine onto a high enough stand (with help of course) ? Yeah I know...That just adds work

Taking forks off isnt just everyday common activity...why?

Thanks for your answers. I did solve the problem...

I firstly removed the front guard/ fender, then I removed the fuel tank and put the bike in gear on a flat surface. I was then able to utilise that initial idea of hanging the bike between two saw horses (photo tomorrow) .

I carefully passed a length of gal water pipe, about 1 metre long, through the space where two structual members are joined. I removed the coils, only because the coils leads did not allow me to view the path of the pipe and to avoid any damage. I only had to add a couple of blocks of wood on top of the saw horses to just have the front wheel lift trom the gound. This could be done by hand (no jack required) one side at a time.

I loosened all the fork retaining bolts and removed the two front brake retaining bolts. I then extracted the front axle after removing the clamping allan headed bolt. The forks were easily removed.

I undid the top caps and removed the springs and spacer (plus a 1mm washer)

I have purchasesd new fork seals and have some 15 wt fluid. There is a spacer at the top 110 mm long.

As a practice assembly, I put the spring in the tube and followed it with the long spacer. I then tried to compress the assemby and screw the top cap down. NO way!....... PROBLEM.

I may have to call on some expertise from a motorcycle shop to get that spring compressed, top up with oil and get that top cap screwwed down!

In the mean time, I will need an 8mm In-hex socket ( long.... approx 35mm) to remove the damper unit from the bottom of the forks.... Will require a impact driver (rattle gun).

More later.... RegardZ.

Not sure about the spring tension on your forks, but I had to have an extra set of hands to compress mine and get the cap on... On the DT175 anyway, the G7S was easier.

YEP the spring is hard to comperss but thier is no tool just strong arms.Put it in a vice with soft v clamps so you dont dammage the tube and push down.

If you had loosened the allen bolt for the dampner before removing the top cap the pressure of the spring would have made it easy to break the bolt free.Put it back together and then loosen the bolt.

Here is where I put the bar, to lift front of bike, for the removal of front forks...

DSCF2071.jpg

There was minimum lifting, as the removal of the front wheel and brake caliper allowed necessary ground clearance.

Anyone know the weight and fork oil capacity of these Zeals?

RegardZ.

Edited by GarnZ

Without a workshop manual available, I will save more queies on separate topics.

On this topic.... Does 300ml per leg seem right for fork oil? It seems a little high , however there is a 110mm hollow spacer that would take a bit of filling!

The 300ml was approx the amount of oil I drained out of the legs. I'll use 15 weight!

Regardz.

Ps.... Just cheated to edit my findings from the Zelous forum........... Specifications Say ~ 350ml /leg could this be the reason They were sagging?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online