Yamaha XT 125 R 57 plate faulty fuel light

BenjiMC
This post is 4219 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I just got the bike about a week now. Already cleaned out Carburettors, tightened chain and going to change brake pads soon. I'm fairly good mechanically, maintained my mountainbike over the years and looking to get stuck into something with a bit more going on. Most problems i have figured out with the bike so far but I just can't understand why my fuel light is not working correctly(electrics...), it's always on, even with a full tank.

I haven't got a manual right now but will be looking to invest, could anybody tell me how i could monitor the connecters are working correctly with a multimeter? what kind of readings should i be getting? this way i could figure out what is at fault. Or if anybody has had a similar issue and could offer some advice? don't fancy buying a new tank right now.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Dunno anything about the XT, but it should be simple to locate the wire(s) coming from the tank and check to see if there is a short.

could anybody tell me how i could monitor the connecters are working correctly with a multimeter? what kind of readings should i be getting?

For an on/off bulb it should be open circuit/closed circuit (resistance 0 or infinite/very high)

or

If the switch is operated by a float in the tank, is the float leaky and therefore full of fuel so it sits at the bottom?

or

Just disconnect the bulb and do what everyone else does, fill up according to the mileage.

ok thanks, I so far I've just been filling up according to mileage but i am getting a fair bit more out of the bike than what i should so I'd rather the light worked correctly. I will try the multimeter and go from there.

Is the float that accessible? i would have thought the tank would be a sealed part really.. which is why i thought a new tank is needed.

Most use a continuity type sender I think, a float would bob about too much. Have a look under the tank as there will be a wire coming from it. It may simply bolt in.

Please remember that petrol and sparks get on very well.