Xj600 won't start when hot

Kam311
This post is 4232 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, and streetbikes in general. I have 1996 xj600s and I bought if from a friend last week. i rode the bike for 2 days with no problems, on the 3rd day I was walking it backwards out of my car port and we both tripped and fell down. The very same day I tried starting it with the kickstand up which killed it instantly, and it would not start again after that. It turns over but just really weak and slow, after about an hour passed and it cooled down it started again. Ever since then It won't start after its been running for a bit, it's the same thing, it just turns over really slow like the battery is real weak until I let the engine cool for an hour or so. Now today we had a very cold night and it did the same thing, it would not start today it just turns over super slow like the battery is dead. The PO said he had replaced the battery recently, but is there a chance it's the problem? Another friend suggested that maybe the valves need adjusting causing the bike to get too hot to start, I know my old crf250's sure were hard to start with bad valves, but idk if that is the case with this bike? Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated! Im a noob with this bike, I feel like a baby again

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Its a queer one, :eusa_think: ,, if it was only when it was hot, i would say low compression, but it would spin over fast. and that cold start thing, blows the low comp, out of the window, ,, check battery water level, and clean All connections, , soliniod too. see what becomes. :jossun:

Yeah I probably could, I can just take it to a shop about 15 miles away where I take my yz250f I guess! I was trying to cancel out minor things before I took it to the mechanic, but I may just have to take it in

Hey guys just took my bike to get the battery tested and it tested out fine, but what I failed to mention earlier is that my original started button does not work and the PO wired in a push start button DIY and that day it got really hot and even melted the wire casing a little and the plastic wired tubing around it. The bike has turned over slower and slower day by day until today it doesn't even turn over now, when I push the button the lights just dim, I think and I hope that this push button is my problem! Because low compression does not sound fun

LOL on its not low compression if the bike will bump/push start.

Get a used start button Just get the whole housing and get rid of that mess about 20 bucks from a wrecker.The ground must have gone bad for it to melt the wires or they shorted together.

Next behind 1 of the side cover is the selonoide that the start button connects to 2 large wires battery feed and starter feed. and 1 small that is the start button wire.

To check the starter.

you touch a jump wire ( use jumper cables but just the same one red or black) across the 2 large terminals the starter should turn over as long as you hole the jumper wire on,if not check the wires for corrosion and check the terminal at the starter as well. If it still dosen't turn over fast the starter is probable nackered.If you have a volt meter put it on the battery and chech the voltage drop while cranking ,it shouldn't drop below 10 v..

You can also remove the wire feeding the starter and feed it battery + directly.

If it turns over fast whit everthing hooked up then try touching a jump wire from the battery + to the small wire if it does nothing the selonoid is nfg.

Most of what you have said makes me think the starter is shot. If the starter wires melted together the starter would have engauged and run untill someone cut the wires or disconnected the battery.That alone could kill a starter. They arn't made for constant running only short (less than 30 seconds) befor they get hot and melt internal wires. Burn the comutator and brushes.

Changing the starter is a un bolt and re bolt job.

Welcome to the YOC

Damn DT i really appreaciate such an informative and in-depth post! A few people have also said to try and change out my half-assed DIY start button as well so ill try that first and if the new seitch doesnt do the trick ill will be resorting back to this awesome post and changing my starter! Thank you!

No problem Just out of curiousitey how much did the new switch cost?? less than the DIY?

I was about to suggest checking the choke on it. My thinking is with a hot engine and the choke stuck full it won't start, but doubt it would be slow cranking. Glad you go it worked out.

O well do it wrong enough times and you will have payed for a new one soon, but each to his own.

Yeah I just wanted to ride it for the next week or two while I search and wait for the part in the mail. It was just unscrew two screws and and screw them back in again. Ive only had the bike 3 days so my research has just begun