Belated . . ."Hello All"

Smiley1244
This post is 4235 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All,

Just had my wrist wrapped by Cynic :) for posting a "How do I" before a "Hello I am", although I have been reading for a number of weeks.

So with my hand on my lid I apologise and would like to say Hi :)

Brief history of me (although knowing me this won’t be brief at all, so I’m sorry in advance).

I’m 31, living in Essex and I am just starting my biker life.

My dad had loads of bikes when I was young but after my parents divorce I was never exposed to bikes into my teens. Then my cousin was very unfortuately killed on a bike and so, well my interests went on to other things.

In January I was away skiing and during one (drunken) conversation a friend mentioned that he’d like to do his CBT and see what it was like. I of course entertained the notion saying I’d always wanted to get my licence. Like many drunken conversations it lasted several hours and was then not spoken about for several weeks when I started getting mass emails about CBT’s, training etc. Looks like we were on.

So CBT, 125 (2500 miles in 2 months), Theory, MOD1, MOD2 and MOD2 later I’m there and loving it.

My first MOD2 was terrible as nerves got the better of me. Did the second MOD2 10 days or is it 14 (the minimum period) and passed without any minors and some very good comments from the examiner. It was like being out riding with friends and it just clicked.

Hats of to "Bikes in Motion" in Wickford for their training on all stages of the training. They couldn't have been better which reminds me I still need to send a thank you/recommendation to them. Plug done :)

So now I had to find a “Big Bike” and I settled on a XJ-6N ( I think mostly because it was so like the YBR) although it was way out of my budget.

Just come back from a few days riding around the UK with the original friend this all started with and yes your right I couldn’t have picked a better (or should that be wetter) week to do it. Although I only got really soaked on one day.

So to everyone that is still reading and not gone off to find a more interesting post . . . Hello nice to meet you :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey! Great intro indeed, thanks for sharing. It seems a lot of people move up to an XJ from a 125 - and probably something I'll also end up doing.

Safe travels and enjoy!

Wow two people that don't think i'm boring, I must be in the right place!!

Bippo, issues aside I can't recommend the XJ enough from a 125, although I've only ever riden two other bigger bikes. The performance increase takes a bit of getting used to but you get used to it quickly and it seems a fairly light bike. Seats nice and low too if your on the shorter side. Nothing really I can say against it really.

Did Cheltenham to east Essex yesterday in the pooring rain and walked away. Where as my friend who did the same trip on an SV650 kinda limped away ;)

Yeah, I've had a sneaky sit on the faired version and it felt really comfortable. They also look nice, so it seems like the right choice for me!

Hardly a wrist slap. Glad i did it now though as intro's go its a belter.

Welcome to the forum.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online