DT 175 exaust stud removal

camm
This post is 4341 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys,

Any idea's how to remove a thread stripped exaust stud on a dt 175 mx, a friend told me to double nut it but that just stripped the threads even more!

regards

Shaun

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

HI Shaun, If you can grip it then HEAT the head around the stud and get the biggest pair of mole grips you have and SLOWLY and CAREFULLY try to wind it out but be careful not to snap the stud off as this will leave you with a whole other set of problems, some suggest welding a nut on to the stud and then trying to wind it out but I have never had much luck with that but it might be worth a try. Hope that helps? :jossun:

Hi Camm

Removing studs often is a right pain, I would probably remove the barrel and attack the stud on the bench,

Here are some of the methods of stud removal/ replacement, I have use in the past:

• Cam type stud extractor (use heat and penetrating oil)
  • Mole grips (use heat and penetrating oil)
  • Drill hole then use easy out (use heat and penetrating oil)
  • Drill successively larger holes in the stud until only the stud thread is left and pick the remains out.
  • Drill the whole stud out and use a helicoil
  • Drill the stud out to take a larger stud then thread the larger stud in to the hole cut flush and drill/tap a new thread to take a new stud of the correct size.

There are others who will no doubt have other methods but these have always suited my needs.

Good luck

AJ

Hey there Camm,

I just took ages trying to get a 7mm (thanks airhead) stud out of my engine block. i found 2 mole grips, couple of inches apart (1 close to the bottom) worked quite well as it gave more surface area and could be leveraged together (close to the bottom so the stud doesn't twist. those two, some wd40 and a blowtorch to try and expand the hole around the bottom of the stud work well.

but in the end, it was a 6mm stud extractor (you can buy a 6,8,10,12 set for around £20), 2 torque bars end on end (to give me around 40cm of a lever for the extractor) and the blowtorch that won out. watch if you are using mole grips, as I found my stud was destroyed as even the tightest grips will slip and shred the surface of the metal.

hope that is of some help,

atocp

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online