yamaha dtr 125 overheating

dylan_elliot
This post is 4318 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi i have a yamaha dtr 125 i'm not sure on year i think its a pre-89 as it only has a 3md code and its been converted to a field bike and its been running fine until about 2 weeks ago when i was out on it and nearly had it flat out and after that cruising about the field then when i stopped and switched off the engine it was sitting for around 2 minutes then there was a loud pop and i saw the coolant from the overflow tank pouring down the side an the cap had blew off so i put it back on then was back on it, running fine until i put the engine off again same thing happened, it continued to do this when i was driving home, it started to do it when the engine was still running . i put the bike in the garage and left it a about a few weeks then took it out a run 3 days ago (i topped up the radiator and half filled the coolant tank) the bike was fine a little bit self revving i noticed then the cap blew of when i got homed switched the engine off, the next day i started up and drove it round the back of my house to wash it about 25ft then steam started pouring out the radiator and switched it of and haven't started it since. i think it could be the head gasket not sure.

i am new so i am sorry if i broke any of the site rules, :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sounds like a blown head gasket Dylan, if it is replace with a genuine one, or Athena, dont use a pattern one or you'll be in this same position 4 or 5 weeks on.

thanks alot i will have a look later, if it is the head gasket where is the best place to buy one ebay or is there a Athena online store?

I've been a loyal customer of WEMoto for many years, never a problem - here's a link for Athena top end gaskets for the '89 DT: Click Me.

You're welcome

put my new head gasket in today goin to take it out tomorrow and see what its like

this is the old gasket IMAG0276.jpg

thats the exact way i took it out i am really surprised that i have been running the bike like this

thanks everyone for your help

Did he not mean try the bike out Paul?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online