Smoking

Noise
This post is 4318 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

And the worst part, there is no such thing as an ex smoker, you just haven't lit up for a while, no mater how long its been.

My husband still doesn't understand this (course he's never smoked). I still have a pack of cigarettes in the freezer from four years ago (?). Only my brother and mom have smoked any of them but I still like the comfort of having them there... in case of emergency...

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Around 18 years ago my auld man went to the docs for a health check. At the end of the visit the doc says along the lines of "thanks for coming in, goodbye as I probably wont see you again". My auld man asked why and the doc replied "well if you keep smoking as you do you will be dead in a year". His lungs were fucked with asbestosis so the cigs did not help.

He came home, gathered up all the smoking stuff in the house, threw them out and stopped there and then. He also stopped drinking as he said every time he had a pint, he could murder a fag. Years later I asked him to come out for a pint and his reply was that if he had a beer, he would have a fag only this time he wouldn't be able to chuck it.

My auld man died 3 months ago with the asbestosis, but got 18 more years without the fags.

I found a successful way of giving up 12 years ago!. After over 40 years of more or less constantly smoking 40 a day, I had a heart attack!

Waiting for the ambulance I made a point of putting my fags and lighter in my pocket! To cut a long story short, before they released me from hospital I was shown what damage had been done to my heart and then told me that some of the drugs I was being given were to thin my blood to lessen the chances of a repeat performance. They also told me that smoking had the opposite effect!

Now, I'm not the most strong willed of men, but I stopped.

Many a time now, I still fancy a smoke and love having a sniff of somebody's fags. It's like having a motorbike from when you are young, it never really goes away!

Good luck anyway!!

them electric fags are good, but all they do is give you the nicotine hit without the other junk.....so not really quiting........just a healthier option.... you can get them with the big battery packs that last 12 hours (about the same size as an AA battery) and the glass refillable cartridge (loads better than the ones with the cotton wadding and dont leek!) but there about £30 per pack but you do get 2 and they can last up to 2 months b4 something dies on it.

but at the end of the day if your serious about quitting then u will. here is a good insentive.......the cravings only last 10 min at a time then go away and your left with just the habit and mentality.

the trick is not to give in and spark up as you will end up starting over.

i've now given up for over 2 years (3rd time of giving up though) i did it with willpower the 1st 2 times,couldn't do it myself the 3rd. i went to the doc and got prescribed champix... they worked a treat (some proper nasty vivid dreams though) had a fag and a cigar last weekend when pissed (still love the smell) wont be doing that again. i never say never,but i think i'm through with it now.... good luck and never stop giving up :eusa_whistle:

them electric fags are good, but the trick is not to give in and spark up on a bus on the M6 as you will end up starting over.

:eusa_doh: