an old hate, im sure, but... YBR gear changes

Grover
This post is 4369 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I know you guys have probably had this enough, a quick Google search brings up plenty of hits relating to people's problems with the gearbox on this thing, but i refuse to believe that a bike that's so well built everywhere else would have a gearbox as bad as it seems right now, and nor do i discount that it is also quite likely rider error (only been riding it two months)

basically, my gearbox is getting stubborn, however hard i press the stick, it won't like going from 1st, through neutral, into 2nd. >> I don't have a problem getting it INTO neutral<< the bike seems to like neutral (guess its lazy like me :D), recently, the gearbox has been sticking in neutral when going up to second, perhaps every 3 miles or so, and its rather embarrassing when your engine goes up to 6000 rpm without you going anywhere fast (its really bad for me on roundabouts)

part of the problem may be my new technique for shifting gears, i watched a video by Roadcraft Nottingham, describing a smooth way to change gears (without clunking, or even clicking the gears), where you basically do the shift all at once, and really quickly, moving the new gear into place before either shaft of the gearbox has slowed more then the other, and getting back into drive quickly. now when i shift, the gear shifter always feels a little more stubborn, and when it does stick in neutral, I can feel the stick pushing against SOMETHING (possibly gears out-of-sync?), and even a good hard press won't move it into gear the first time, but there is little or no resistance on the second attempt (after i've made a fool of myself at low speed, looking like a chav with his first bike)

the problem didn't use to be much of a problem for the first 1000 miles on the clock, it got a LITTLE worse between 1000 and 1300, and now, at just under 1500 its almost unbearable due to how frequently it occurs.

is there any chance that its a mechanical fault? or is there a way i can change gears differently to make them less stressful

for extra information: im not afraid to get my hands dirty, just afraid of spending big (i know its a 125 AND its less than 2 months old, so it can't be sucking my wallet dry just yet), and i also have a father who used to take his 50cc and 125cc Suzuki engines to pieces and put them back together again, so labour and skill shouldnt be a problem. its also a 2011 model (built 2012, by an authorised, reputable dealer) and has had its 600 mile service at the dealer (ill be booking the first 2000 mile service soon)

thanks in advance for any help!

Grover

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i have a 2 year warranty :P

i just feel bad for bugging them so much, ive been in every other week since ive bought it, but to be fair, they're £2400 better off because of my custom, so i suppose its only fair that i bug them, i might drop in tomorrow after university and see what the authorised mechanic thinks can be done, or if it can wait till my next service.

is there anything i can do in the meantime? like a better way of shifting gears smoothly?

shifting from 1st to 2nd is rarely a problem...usually it's the other way round that causes issues, I take it that when you are upshifting you do back off the throttle when you pull the clutch?

When downshifting give the throttle a little 'blip' as you are pressing the shifter

im using teh same technique as described by roadcraft nottingham:

1) put a little pressure on teh gear lever, and prepare

2) "blip" the throttle, and move teh clutch in quickly at the same time, after a really short delay:

3) flick the gear lever up with a firm press

4) return back to your normal riding

2>4 should happen as quickly as possible

this sometimes makes the gear changes as smooth as silk, a couple of times, i thought i;d put it in neutral it was so smooth, but i had in fact shifted up

could i be doing it wrong perhaps? subconsciously?

im using teh same technique as described by roadcraft nottingham:

1) put a little pressure on teh gear lever, and prepare

2) "blip" the throttle, and move teh clutch in quickly at the same time, after a really short delay:

3) flick the gear lever up with a firm press

4) return back to your normal riding

2>4 should happen as quickly as possible

this sometimes makes the gear changes as smooth as silk, a couple of times, i thought i;d put it in neutral it was so smooth, but i had in fact shifted up

could i be doing it wrong perhaps? subconsciously?

no wonder you are having trouble, that guide is for DOWNSHIFTING, as i said in my last comment, for UPSHIFTING you need to close the throttle while the lever is lifted to the next 'higher' gear!

the guide WAS for upshifting, im certain, ill get you the link:

(copyrighted video, owned by Roadcraft Nottingham)

AFAIK im doing exectly what he does, my gear shifter just hits something between neutral and second (possibly misaligned gears somehow, or perhaps the gearbox is cramped, one post i read mentioned one shaft being very close to the clutch housing)

Only stiff gearchanges i can remember, is when your low on gear oil, stop proding :eusa_snooty: , and shift cleanly, ,

not impressed at all with that, all i ever saw him do was LIFT the lever (upshift), did you actually see him press down at any time (downshift)

like i said,

for downshift...blip the throttle (do not do this going from neutral to 1st though with bike stationary)

for upshift...close the throttle

easy :thumb:

he did a later video expecially for downshifts, this viudeo was for upshifts (he's a career instructor, doub't he'd put people off for fun)

@blackhat250 you mean i could be low on oil? the dealer checked it at the 600 mile service (only just over 600 miles ago), i suppose i'd better check it again then

@Airhead so fi the throttle is properly closed the problem should no longer persist? ill try it out tomorrow

thanks guys! im off to go tinker and fettle :D

he did a later video expecially for downshifts, this viudeo was for upshifts (he's a career instructor, doub't he'd put people off for fun)

yes and you will notice he wasnt blipping the throttle...he was rolling it off

ok, looks like a change in technique was all that was necessary, shifting how i naturally taught myself to between 1>2 and 2>3 keeps the gearbox from doing aything silly, only had one failed change today :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online