Hi, looking for a DT125RE

This post is 4356 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Greetings all,

My names Andy and I'm having a classic mid life crisis, Ive recently separated from my wife and one of the things she would never let me have was a bike. So now I'm getting one!

When I was a lad (I'm 36 now) I used to run motocross/ field bikes and has a suzuki ZR50 when I was 16.

I'm looking to start steady and am doing my CBT next week, and after looking at the options (I toyed with a 90s 125 enduro but think I'll go for something newer) fancy a nice late model DT125RE to bez about on till I decide what step to take next.

Thought I would join this forum to say hello and get some advice on what to look for and/or maybe find a bike here.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Andy, what a great name.

You've made a wise decision in looking for a DT and coming here to aks advice. There are loads of DT125 nuts on here and we're always pooling our research and theorys about the bikes.

First things first is to decide whether you want a DTR or a DTRE. The DTR ran from 88-04 and in 04 the RE took over til around 2008. The E in RE standard for electric start; there is no kick start. I love to kick a bike over :P!

The RE obviously has different tank and plastics and the oil/coolant header tanks are in different places. Other than that theres not much difference.

I owned an RE for over 4 years from 17-21 and kept repeating CBT's as i loved the bike. I'm now building 2 DTR's with all new plastics etc to restoration level finish.

The RE exhaust is heavy restricted by the means of a CAT

If you're looking at buying one then theres a few major things to check

-Frame and engine numbers match the V5

-Powervalve

- if it has a servo unit operating it, when the ignition is turned on, the powervalve runs a self clean/ set up. It will turn fully open and fully back and then return to a resting position.

-Suspension linkage, often gets play and will fail an MOT, lean it towards you on the side stand and try and lift the rear wheel up. Should be no movement.

-Panel mounts are intact including clips.

-Exhaust, check for holes where it bends away from the exhaust manifold.

Got to go now but if you want any more advice etc theres tonnes on here or give me a pm and i can give you a number to txt.

Andy

Welcome Andy, looks like you have found your new home, good luck finding your bike and with your CBT. :jossun:

thanks for the replies and thanks for the full resopnse there Andy. I suppose I'm looking for what everyone wants, a good clean bike for about £1,500 that I can run for a bit and then sell on without loosing any money (I prefer the black ones over the blue :) ). However, I'm a fairly competent mechanic, so if I find a good low mileage bike/ or a bike in vgc with a blown engine or one needing a top end rebuild cheap that would suit me fine!

I prefer the look of the RE's from 2004 onwards, nice plastics, bit wouldnt write off an R for the right money or an older model in good cond. I work in Sheffield so its a 60 mile round trip commute, so I want something reliable (although I'll only be using it in the summer/ dry days)

Keep your eyes peeled guys, I'm based in West Yorkshire but would be happy to travel for the right bike.

afternoon boys, have just put a deposit on a 2000X plate DTR in black. 14 thousand miles, totally original and still restricted. Owned by a bloke in his mid 40s for the last 4 years whos hardly ridden it and was owned by a mature bloke before that. Only thing I've really spotted is some scratches on the front mudguard and a scuff on the side panel sticker. Wheels are super clean, so is frame/ swing arm/ engine etc as its never been off road and always garaged. Paid a grand for it and collect on Friday when its had a fresh MOT put on it and Ive done my CBT, Can't wait :)

dt4.jpg

dt1.jpg

dt3.jpg

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online