2-way radios

dand
This post is 4416 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

Does anyone have any good suggestions for cheap 2-way radios that work well.

Me and a mate want to do a bit more long distance and it would be good to have some communication as we're riding along.

I found a cheapish set on maplins (around £50) but wondered if anyone had used any others?

Cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I use Puxing PX-888 UH 400-480Mhz UHF.

These have been used in the UK, parts of Europe and even in the Alps whilst skiing.

We haven't had any problems and they seem to have a good range.

We got them off ebay and are shipped from Hong Kong I think.

They are both, but to be honest, if you are using them on the bike then it is best to use the ptt button as vox can be very sensitive with the wind noise (or if your buddy starts singing to himself...)

PMR446:

Midland Alan PMR456

Midland G7 or G8

CB:

Midland 42 Multi (this is the one I have)

Intek H-512

Intek H-520

PMR's max range is about 1.4km.

CB can reach to 10 miles!

Both should have the option for 2-pin headset adapters and allow you to use handlebar mounted PTTs, etc.

There are bluetoothy things as well, but they cost a bomb and I'm still not convinced.

PMR is OK, but you get what you pay for. Pay low, get shite. I've had crap performance from some as close as 3 yards!

CB is a bit easier. The rig is more expensive, but SO much cooler!!