help

crtr
This post is 4419 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

This may be way off the mark... but have you tried penetrating oil? You'll have to soak it and let it sit (multiple times if necessary). Where the drain plug is underneath, you may have to soak a rag in it and wedge it around the plug to keep it soaking. I'm not sure how the oil plug is set up on your machine or if you have enough room to work with it, but have you tried a breaker bar? I would suggest a bolt remover, but it sounds like the head isn't stripped just that the threads are seized. Hopefully I'm not being overly-simple.

Hi

To help to un-seize the drain plug, you could warm up the area around the plug with a hot air gun or hair drier at a pinch, this should expand the casing and hopefully the drain plug its self will be slower to expand this coupled with easing oil a good fitting socket and some patience might do the trick, one thing to remember is that easing oil is flammable so are gasoline fumes, and hot air guns warm up electric coils inside them so any flammable fumes could get ignited, I would be sure that the area is well ventilated, It might be easier to remove the whole sump and attempt the task on a work bench especially if the sump can be removed with out much work,

A six point socket will give better drive on the bolt. As above, penetrating oil and not just wd40, let it soak, repeat applications. Try tapping the socket bar with a hammer both ways (tapping, not flogging). If it starts to move, but fights you all the way, undo a bit then back a bit while appyling release oil

hi - im not actually giving help - but i do need anyones help -

i own a Virago xv125 on a 2003 plate and i need a new chain and sprocket kit but the only ones i can find online are for upto 1997 - would this fit my bike or if not does anyone know where i can buy one from PLEASE!!x

hi - im not actually giving help - but i do need anyones help -

i own a Virago xv125 on a 2003 plate and i need a new chain and sprocket kit but the only ones i can find online are for upto 1997 - would this fit my bike or if not does anyone know where i can buy one from PLEASE!!x

to continue with the thread hijack theme :rolleyes:

wasnt the years of production 1997 - 2000 ?

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/yamaha/xv_125_virago/97-00/

to continue with the thread hijack theme :rolleyes:

wasnt the years of production 1997 - 2000 ?

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/yamaha/xv_125_virago/97-00/

Yep, I thought Yamaha stopped making in 2000 too, replaced them with the XVS 125 Dragstar which started production in 2000. I suspect that ones made after that were made under licence in China/India etc?

ok - well thanks for that - i suppose it could have just been redgistered in 2003, could it?? - its a mystery!lol......x - ive had a quote for one and fitted £100 - does that sound about right? :eusa_shifty:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online