XVS650 2011 Rear brakes

rossr
This post is 4419 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

It seems riding schools are keen to teach us new guys how to STOP, as the assumption is we will manage OK to get going.

I just traded up from a 250 Virago to a new XVS650. I was surprised to find how less effective the rear brake is on the

new bike. Is this usual. Is there any thing I can do to improve braking???or any suggestions about my operating?

When not an emergency, (say approaching lights), I tend to slow down by using foot brake and changing down. usually only use front brakes when a more urgent situation requiring a strong STOP is necessary.

New to this so any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Rossr

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

On previous non cruiser bikes I always used the front brake more than the rear, on the cruiser I find I use the rear more than the front, it may be that you are still adjusting to the weight difference from the 250 to 650.

I have also read that the Dragstars have not got the best brakes so you need to make sure that everything is in good order but would imagine that with the age of yours that shouldn't be a problem.

The 650 Dragstar weighs 230kg!

Use mostly front brake, with 'back only' at very low speeds (max 10-15mph).

If you use back only at higher speeds, you will fishtail and possibly even dump it!

When braking normally from higher speeds, your weight transfer goes forward and down into the road. The rake angle of your Drag forks will mean weight transfers less down and more along the road than you're used to. Add to that the extra weight on the Drags and it does take a while to stop.

Add a touch of back brake to help bring the weight online.

Also, swap to HH Sintered pads. They are brill!!

Yeah what he said.

Part of what I put doesn't now read right after looking at it again, what I meant was that on the cruiser I tend to use more back brake with the front than I used to on non cruiser bikes.

So Non Cruiser Front with a tad of back

Cruiser front with a bit more back than above.

I hardly use the rear brake - much as Ttaskmaster

Also a question.

Which are the easier to replace? Drums in the back or pads in the front? Use them in that order.

Drum shoe requires an upright bike on a stand/jack/block of wood.

Take back wheel off, open it up, remove old one, clean the crap out, put new one in, replace wheel, ride off.

Front pads can be done in-situ.

Open caliper, remove old pads, clean crap out, open brake reservoir, push pistons back in (consider cleaning them up too), insert new pads, close up caliper, tension and bleed brake line, top up with fluid, close everything up, ride off.

Overall, they're probably about as fiddly as each other, I guess.

Everyone has slightly different riding styles, I just find a touch of rear helps to balance the bike when braking, and have found with the cruiser I tend to use a bit more rear.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online