Please recommend an open-face or flip up visor helmet...

ddlooping
This post is 4416 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I got a BOX open face with Stadium goggles. very comfy and no noise.

I thought CBD had a box open face! ;)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I think I've found my helmet: the ROOF BOXER V8. :wub:

It's got a retro-futuristic look that wouldn't look out of place with the Dragstar me think. :)

Much too expensive for me though. :(

I might go with the ROOF BOXER V if I can grab an eBay bargain...

What about a Shark Evoline 2. It's a flip up helmet but the flip up part goes all the way over the back so it can be used as an open face helmet and you can still use the visor in open face mode.

For the record, I still wear the Caberg 104 V2 - Costs about £100 and has excellent Sharp rating.

What's that like for noise tasky?

I'm sure up to 40mph an open face helmet will be ok... I appreciate it doesn't give a much protection as a full face but I can hit 40mph on my mountain bike down hill and don't wear a full face helmet. I've even crashed my mountain bik.e at speed.down hill and my face is still attached... Obviously faster speeds is different but it's all about personal risks and choice, look at the guys in USA who don't wear any helmets

Here's my boys:

PictureLarge.jpg

On the right is my trusty Shoei XR-1000, on the left it's new playmate the Caberg Duke.

Caberg - Pros: comfy, fairly quiet, 'Top Gun' drop down tinted visor, full visor Pinlock, good peripheral vision, chinbar can be locked in the open position (above town speeds you'll rip your head off, so don't!), chin wind baffle excellent, great when wearing specs (helmet on/off without disturbing them), good price (£130).

Cons: polycarbonate feels plasticky & brittle, visor lock is really stiff, ventilation so-so at best, chinbar open lock button very fiddly, no ACU approval (not that I'll be doing any racing, but still ...).

Shoei - Pros: comfy, similar noise level to the Duke, good ventilation, solid construction, ACU Gold approved, handy visor lock to keep it open a crack, or lock it shut.

Cons: draughty round the chin area, pinlock only covers the middle of the visor, peripheral vision compromised by pinlock edges, original cheek pads to fat for my fat bastard face (£18 for replacements!), pain in the arse for specs wearers if the helmet is going to be on/off all day, price (XR-1100 is £400!)

They both have a role in my two-wheeled life, if I'm going for a decent run it's likely to be the Shoei, if I'm going to be stopping/chatting/helmet on/off all day then the Caberg gets out to play. Horses for courses an' all that, innit?

Which would I choose if I could only have one? Probably the Caberg as I wear specs and the hassle of taking them on and off every time you put the lid on is a real pain - going into shops, petrol stations, you name it. Add in the brilliant full visor pinlock and the tinted jobby and that swings the balance.

Of course, if you want to wear an open face lid, be my guest, you'll change your mind when the weather turns colder .....

I'm sure up to 40mph an open face helmet will be ok...

How sure are you?

Bet your life on it?

As stated, this is completely your choice... but if you end up a chinless wonder, don't look for sympathy.

This thread has a few pics and links to videos that might help you decide...

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?p=3232443

What's that like for noise tasky?

A bit noisy, I guess. I don't have a problem with it, but it's no Schuberth!

How sure are you?

Bet your life on it?

As stated, this is completely your choice... but if you end up a chinless wonder, don't look for sympathy.

Personally I use a modular helmet and ride with it closed (as I like not having to remove helmet to get petrol etc).

I would consider an open face helmet around town. I know the risks involved but as I said I can easily hit 40mph on my mountain bike and a motorbike open face helmet offers more head protection than my mountain bike helmet.

We bet our lives every day we ride, but we choose to take the risk of using 2 wheels. There's a girl at work whose husband has a 125cc and she hates it, her opinion is "if you ride a motorbike you will die" but everyone here takes the risk she wouldn't. If we come off our bikes and the idiot in the car behind us who drives too close runs us over it's not going to be pretty what ever helmet we're wearing...

Hopefully we've given th OP something to think about and some ideas about what helmets are available?

Hey Denis, I currently have the Carberg Trip which is a good helmet, though in the rain it seems to steam up a bit and at speed the visor can flip up when doing life-savers... (could be cos its old?) The wind noise is ok with ear plugs and the built in sun visor is a godsend.

Am thinking of replacing my helmet soon and would get another one however the other half wants a HJC R-Pha Max which seem really good and are light but they're a bit pricey (c£300-350). The best advise I can give is go in a shop and try it on to see how it feels on your head as whats comfortable for one person isn't for someone else.

Graham

Thanks for the feedback, Graham. :)

... it seems to steam up a bit and at speed the visor can flip up when doing life-savers...

Not something I'd like to happen during a life-saver. :o

listen to the voice of opinion,, i have had many helmets in my 32years of riding, the best to date is my shark rsr2 , it's quiet, even with that huge wind scoop up top? it doesn't fog up-: at all, with the original visor, double D fastner, miles better than a quick clip.

but there expensive, it all depends on what you value your head at.. i use my £45" CAN" most of the time, it's heavy and noisey made of fiberglass ,but looks cool in mat black..

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online