Dragstar 125 '01 cylinder and piston specs

125Viking
This post is 4449 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys,

I'm looking to replace my pistons, piston rings and likely the cylinders as well, I was wondering if anyone had any idea what the exact specs I'm looking for are? Cant seem to find any info for a Dragstar 125 anywhere, obviously dont want to order the wrong parts. If someone has a link to somewhere that sells these things or just the spec I need to search for to get a result come up it would be much appreciated.

Any heads up on cost would also be appreciated

Cheers :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Thanks :) I checked it out, and they have every part I need... for a staggering £500 for one cylinder! The barrel alone costs £350. The rings £80... is this really the cheapest these parts are? I'm struggling to get anything on dragstar barrels at all but there are some brand new ones on ebay for other yamaha 125's for £50

Hi guys,

I'm looking to replace my pistons, piston rings and likely the cylinders as well, I was wondering if anyone had any idea what the exact specs I'm looking for are? Cant seem to find any info for a Dragstar 125 anywhere, obviously dont want to order the wrong parts. If someone has a link to somewhere that sells these things or just the spec I need to search for to get a result come up it would be much appreciated.

Any heads up on cost would also be appreciated

Cheers :)

hi mate, tell us some more, how can it possibly be that you feel you have to replace ALL this stuff?

Well, the bike is losing power at higher revs. struggles heavily to get passed 40/45, burning oil badly as well. My guess was the rings were shot. So stripped it down with a mechanic (girlfriends dad) Who double checked the rings individually in the barrel, the piston in the barrel and has taken away the head to check the valves are working as they should. What we found was that the ring gaps were a little too big, and the barrel itself had a bit of give in the middle with the piston. The piston itself also had movement on the rod. In other words, it being a 10 year old bike with 36k miles on it, these are likely the original parts that are just worn down.

He said the best thing I could do is see how much it costs to replace all the parts, and go from there. If I replaced these then it'd be like a brand new bike effectively. Ofcourse if it really will cost £500 just for one.. and its a v-twin.... I'm sure there must be cheaper parts somewhere.

Sounds like that bike has had 10 years of serious abuse. 36K is not all that much. Probably not been serviced much in that time and been ridden by someone with not much love for it. Too bad... Good luck with fixing it, but it might be cheaper to just find a used engine on ebay and do a swap...

I've had it since august, Im hoping your wrong about the abuse, but its looking more that way.. I've also heard on a 125 v twin 30k miles can finish an engine. which wasnt what I wanted to hear, but I've also heard the opposite said. If Im lucky I'll find a cheap fix, if not... I have a friend who may part ex his barely used one with mine :P may be my best bet

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online