Performance air filters. Are they worth it?

Wrighty90
This post is 4449 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The title says it all really, I'm thinking of bunging a performance air filter on my trusty steed, but wanted to know what experiences you guys and gals have had? Are they worth it on their own, or should they be part of a more expansive tuning operation?

Cheers

Si.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

On an XT your wasting your time unless you sort the exhaust too. Big singles generate torque, high airspeed in the carb/injection area increaces power at the expence of torque. Even with an exhaust you will not notice a great deal.

If your after induction noise on the other hand so it sounds quick even though you will be slower thats different.

they're never worth it, unless you're racing and at the top of your game!

larger bikes have so much power and torque, and performance, that putting race and performance parts on them for non competitive use is pretty pointless.

Smaller capacity bikes such as 125 etc, don't gain enough from these kind of mods to make them worth while at all.

Racing however, yeah they will help get more power, but it's gonna save you maybe 1/100th second per lap at the most, but then again, unless you are exceptionally good, you will probably lose this time in one corner.

So, road vehicles, useless. Race machines, more time to be had, for free, by improving your own abilities.

only filter mod i have done on my honda single is to put in a standard K&N replacement , it is a bit more expensive to start with but is washable so more economical in the long run , but performance it does not give, the race cans do though

i think an air filter WITH say re-jetting and a new exhaust would give better BHP but can't imagine an air filter on its own would be noticable. Having said that, some insurance companies class K&N filters as a performance mod...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online