yamaha yzf r125 clutch slip

john_
This post is 4479 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone

I seem to be suffering what feels like clutch slip. I can drop the clutch out completely and boot it hard in 2nd, 3rd and 4th and the revs rise but the speed doesn't. Feels identical to clutch slip in a car.

Can anyone tell me if:

a. it's definitely the clutch as opposed to the chain? No idea how these things work on a bike, sorry!

b. is a clutch expensive to replace? Having looked on ebay quickly, I can see a clutch is about £40...so how long're we talking for labour? I'm hoping it's a clutch cover off, clutch out, new clutch in, clutch cover back on jobby

c. is it a dead easy job? Something worth attempting on my own?

Thanks very much for any information :)

John

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I wouldnt take the clutch apart, unless you know its worn.

Check that your clutch is engaging properly, when you let the clutch lever out, it should grab halfway to 3/4s out, if thats fine, then follow below:

Just get some MOTORCYCLE oil, and a flushing addetive, and give it a fer revs/runs, then drain the oil, and replace with a good MOTORCYCLE oil, as car oil will make it slip.

Once its done it may still slip a bit due to remaining friction addetives from whatever was in before, if so, just see if it improves over time, if not, then give it another flush, might be better to flush it twice first off.

Adjust clutch cable at handle-bar, if that doesnt work adjust it at the gearbox side. After that, i wonder is there an adjustment on the clutch lifting arm inside gearbox on these bikes ??? Have you a manual ??

It could be the wrong oil that went into it like Morpheuz said.

Its nothing to do with the chain.

It does sound like clutch slip

Sounds like you shouldnt try and take clutch out yourself,,,,,,, no offence !

Garage shouldnt charge that much !!! allthough i dont know how much.

TBH changing the clutch out is just a case of draining oil, removing clutch cover and taking the plates out. Then reversing the process...was watching vids...seems simple enough!

It's going in for a service tomorrow anyway so will get it checked by Yamaha

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online