Does this sound like a good deal?

piemuncher
This post is 4534 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I think I can get a Thundercat with 45,000 miles on it (sounds like a lot!) for around £900.00.

It seems to be a good specimen but sounds a bit tappety, is this normal?

There are thundercats with 25k on them for between £1500-£2000.00 but I know my way around a bike and the tappets wouldn't be an issue for me to do myself, just wondering if on these bikes in particular with that mileage that there may be a deeper issue!

Thanks

Pie

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

A common fault that costs a fortune to fix.

The Cat is a de-tuned R6 engine,,,,,so in fairness the engine is good for roughly 60,000 mls before any major probs.

The gearbox (2nd gear) is only an issue depending on how the bike was ridden,,,,,, if its one owner from new that put up the mls then i wouldnt be to worried

The Cat and R6 are a bike that needs to be reved. This is why 2nd gear gets the brunt of abuse as speed is built up,,,, (lads red-lining in 2nd).

So, on the hole,,,,,,the bike is good,,,,,the engine is good,,,,gearbox sometimes iffy,,,,,comfortable,,,,,good tourer,,,,,sit up straight,,,,, kinda heavy on fuel.

Low milage bike would be better,,,,,,,but depends on previous owner !!!

Pat

The Cat is a de-tuned R6 engine.

??????????????????

wat came first???? the chick or its egg?

The Cat,,, the fazer,,,,the R6

Shoot me if im wrong !! this is what i always thaught !

There made from the same block,,,,,, difference being the cams,,,,,cams changed to decrease/increase power

Yam changed some other things though, so parts arent interchangable

Cat,,,,,,,,,launched 1994,,,,,,100 bhp

Fazer,,,,,,launched 1998,,,,,,95 bhp

R6,,,,,,,,,,launched 1998,,,,,,,108 bhp

He is right, though its probably more accurate to say the R6 is a tuned Thundercat motor?? lol I don't know, MCN are the ones that confuse people!

I test drove 4 over the weekend ranging from 20,000 to 45,000 miles - 2 of the lower mileage ones popped out of second gear around 8k revs so I walked away. One at 30,000 miles needed a new chain, sprockets and back tyre and the guy wanted £1,500 so I walked away, the one with 45,000 miles came with a folder of service history, had a new front tyre, cam chain tensioner, stainless steel headers and started on the button so after some deliberation and negotiation (due to a very high clutch and the shims) I managed to bag it for £875.00.

I know my way around an engine (or at least would think I do!) and knew beforehand that I can replace the clutch for around £100.00 from Wemoto - Also, the tappety sound does very much sound like the shims, isn't a great issue to me as if it started doing that during my ownership I probably wouldn't bother sorting it out!

I love it though, did 300 miles on it over the weekend, didn't miss a beat at the girlfriend was very comfy on the back. I love the fact its nice and manageable but if you want to razz it it really does go!

Also, with my careful riding (due to the girlfriend!) I returned 65mpg - not bad!

Pie

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online