engine change for log book issues

triton john
This post is 4551 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am planning to put a different engine in another frame. Is this just a straight forward logbook change ?

The engine is a different one to the one that was originally used in the frame but it is still a Yamaha engine Yamaha frame configuration. Has anyone had any dealings of this sort of things before ?

I know all the dodges to get a Triton registered but have never done this type of thing before so any info would be helpfull.

Thanks in advance.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

tried to change the cc on the tracker from 250 (frame) to 400 engine and the idiots said there was no such engine made.

I just left it as I'd told the insurance it's a 400 and they accepted it!

Earlier this year, I put a 100cc Speedfight engine into a 50c Speedfight frame,(exactly same frame as a 100cc) DVLA said they needed a motorbike engineers report to say it had been done properly, asking for it to be put on headed paper. So got a local bike workshop owner I know, to put down on paper what they needed to know and sent it off with the old v5, couple of weeks later new and changed v5 came back.

Sounds reasonably straightforward but I am sure there will be some bloody hiccup !

The plan is to put the XT 600 engine in a TZR 125 frame for the summer but put it back in the XT frame for winter. This is I suspect where I will have the problem.

All I want to do is have a big single sport bike in the summer and trail in the winter.

I know buying another bike is the easy answer but a few reasons not to do that 1. I have enough bikes as it is 2. I like the XT engine in a 125 frame idea 3. I like a challenge and a project.

Once sorted an engine and exhaust change from one bike to another is a matter of an hour and I get the best of both worlds.

I am unsure of all the model numbers/names for the 125 but want one that is a beam frame so I guess I will be looking for something from the last 8 years or so. If someone knows which sort I am looking for I will be gratefull for the info. I looked at an Aprillia frame which would be ideal but I want to use a Yamaha set up so that is the sort of frame I am looking at - basically a dead engine 125 complete is what I am looking for.

John, I know you have your mind set on putting the xt600 into a TZR frame, and fair play to ya sounds like a good project, but something I'd suggest just as another way to go with it, and give you a fourth option, is to Supermoto it, by putting 18" rims front and back, and then finding some sports tyres, seen a few done this way, and to be honest have thought about doing it myself.

Had thought of that Nev but I have a supermotard type thing. Its an old CR 500 Honda, last of the aircooled ones but with pro link ( must have been last of one model and first of the next ) I used it for hillclimbing for a few years before getting it sorted for the road. It's a real hoon to ride n makes you want to ride like a hooligan all the time. I even had a bit of tuning work done on the motor as if that was realy needed ! The best thing about it for me though is it's a 2 stroke.

It can be a pain to start at times but that soon offsets itself when you ride it.

Don't want to put you off the idea but the TZR frame will really struggle to hold it together with the big thumper in it.

One of the bike mags put an xt motor in a mito and that needed a LOT of bracing and damping to cancel out vibes and stop the motor twisting the frame. As well as a lot of fab work needed for the battery airbox due to the battery size and the airbox volume. If the Xt is a kicker then it won't be too bad but swapping engines in an hour. can't see it.

Love to see the results if you sort it.

It is a kickstat model so the battery is a real small one. I can fabricate an ally oil tank myself as well as engine plates in dural. The airbox will be ditched for k & n or similar. Changing an engine over in an hour is not rocket science I can and have got my Triton engine changed in under an hour and that was at a meeting not at home in the workshop.

Bracing the frame will also be done myself and will be doing some serious working out where to do it. I am not tuning the motor or uprating anything on it and will use the standard pipe set up on the XT and for the 125/600 bike will make an underseat route pipe to finish in a aftermarket silencer. So at worst It is jetting that will need to be changed between the 2 bikes. I do have a spare pair of carbs so that is something that can be left in place on each frame.

Cynic if you can remember what bike mag it was in I would be interested in reading it. Probably help me avoid some screw ups !

Oh, bugger :eusa_doh: , its a cr500 motor. :eusa_whistle:

Performance bikes long term project.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online