klr service

This post is 7033 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

i had planned to give the klr a good service at 2k miles. what with work etc i'm a hundred miles over that but will get it done tomorrow after my run(will prob be about 2250 then if the weathers ok :rolleyes: ) some castrol gtx, new plug and oil filter was bought for it today(along with a set of gold renthal bars B) ) i really like this bike you know :D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sounds like the makin's of another Kwak Attack! :D

Staying on the service topic......I found that my XT has a crack in the frame backbone, where the top shock mount & the oil resevoir meet! :blink: .......I guess this is a common prob with this vintage. Already got it planned to weld it back up @ my brothers place in about a month- along with doing that complete chassis swap on my truck. I too really like this bike.......put the FUN back into riding for me! ;)

if you're willing to give me the difference in £ i'll gladly use silkolene! B) right i'm off out to lose myself on the bike and forget about this place. the words 'wall a brick banging head fucking my against' spring to mind :lol: not in that order either :lol:

you sooo belong to the marketing guys pete :rolleyes: i did mean gtx!

here's a few things i've read in the past-

Also, it is worthy of note that from a testing standpoint, the two most similar oils were the Castrol GTX automotive oil and the Spectro 4 motorcycle oil. By similar, I mean that they tested as having almost the same absolute kinematic viscosity and density right out of the container. So starting out as equals, the Castrol maintained its viscosity several percentage points higher than the Spectro, under the same use in the same motorcycle yet the Spectro costs about four times the price of the Castrol.

In any case, again I could find nothing to support the argument that automotive oils were somehow less effective than motorcycle-specific lubricants when used in a motorcycle.

In speaking to a number of people involved in the production, marketing and distribution of motorcycle-specific oils, we could not find anyone who could present a valid argument for discrediting the testing done by Dr. Woolum. In general, they all tried to turn the conversation another direction by bringing up other possible advantages to using their products, while ignoring the viscosity-retention question. Yet without exception it is their own advertising that consistently brings the subject up, touting the special shear-stable polymers as the primary reason motorcyclists should purchase their products.

Despite more than six months of research, reading all the claims and counter-claims printed by dozens of industry experts and lubrication experts, MCN cannot and does not purport to know all there is to know about the differences between automotive and motorcycle oils. However, what we do know is that we can find no substantive evidence that using a high-quality, name-brand automotive oil in an average street motorcycle is in any way harmful or less effective in providing proper lubrication and protection than using the more expensive, motorcycle-specific oils.

now for someone who changes their oil between 1k and 1.5k who would rather spend all that money that motorcycle specific oils cost on petrol for actually riding the bike, castrol gtx does the job perfectly well!

i rest my case

GTX is most certainly NOT going to hurt anything in your bike's motor! :rolleyes:

I've used that stuff for years without ANY probs of any sort........even run it in my lawn-mower. ;)

man what a response! and how clever the word thing is! it's the perfect way to get one up on someone younger than 50 if you haven't got a proper answer for them B)

• Admin

Well i personally wouldnt use car oils, im no scientist obviously. But jsut from the diffences between cars and bikes, would like to hope that the oils are infact designed differently.

Cars generally have separate oil between engine and gearbox. Bikes generally use the same oil in engine and gearbox and clutch. And yes i know some cars and bikes have dry clutches and other stuff.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online