CT3 earthing problem?

splittie65
This post is 4529 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just put my CT3 back together after a reasonablly comprehensive refurb, and am wondering if I have an earthing problem?

The bike starts and works fine and all the electrics work OK..........however, when I put the indicators on the neutral light dims in time with the flashers...likewise if I put the brake light on etc....... thats with the engine running or not.

I have tried earthing the battery out to other points on the bike, but no difference.

Is it an earthing problem or could it be something else?

Or is this normal?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • 1 month later...

Hi

My DT has also gone through an extensive rework, Replacement Mag coils, new rectifier, new battery and new regulator, when the indicators are on all other lights that are on will go bright and dim in counter time with the indicators flashing , I have tried lowering the bulb wattage in the indicators and have cleaned all the other earth points as well as directly connecting the indicator earths to the battery, the other lights are still affected, I have even searched the web looking for 6 volt LED bulbs as I think they will not require as much power, I cannot find any,

I now believe that this is a problem that I will have to live with, I do recall that a friends and my original DT that we were riding in the seventies were both the same,

If my bike ever fails its MOT because of this I think I can remove the indicators as they are not expected to be fitted on a bike of its age, If I find a solution I will try to remember to put it in a post

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

This is a bit of a delayed response , perhaps useful to others...

I seem to recall a friends '70s yamaha enduro doing the same thing. The charging system/battery on many 70's dirt bikes were only marginally capable.

However if you want to verify the cause:

Use a test light (The type that lights when you touch the pointy probe to 12 volts.) grounded at the negative battery terminal.

While the signal lights are flashing, put the probe on the the positive battery terminal itself. If the test light dims in time with the flashers, then either the battery is worn, OR (if you have a known good battery.) this is normal for this bike.

If the test light does not dim at the battery, put the test light probe at the positive battery cable where it connects to the battery, but don't touch the battery terminal. . If test light dims here , there is a poor connection at the battery. If no dimming here, continue down the circuit path probing just after the fuse, then the bullet connectors between the battery and the neutral light.

In this way, you can determine which component is not conducting well.