Windshield setup

Campaman
This post is 4641 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My dragstar has a windshield fitted but I need to set it up to suit me.

I realise I need to see over it as looking thruought it does not feel right.

Any tips on best angled, height etc. To get the best results from it

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Paging Leatherat....

Haveing gone through all of this section I wondered if Leatherat would be the man with the answer, just getting me spanners out ready.

Dunno if he has answers, but he *does* have a screen on his Drag...

Not my thing, really ;)

To be honest Iam also considering takeing it off and see how I get on, as I am returning to bikes after a few years with out one the screen that came with the bike just seems to be in my way.

Make way....make way....did somebody call? :D

Dragstar screens eh? I understand there are some hardy souls amongst us who are able to withstand the hurricane type blasts of 70+ mph, but for us lesser beings it's an essential piece of kit.

As for the fitment of said screen, well it all depends on so many variables I'm afraid.

1. Which screen have you got?

2. How tall are you (when sat aside your steed, you need to be looking over the screen. If you position it so that you are looking through the plastic, you will shit yourself when it starts to rain, Imagine being in a car with no windscreen wipers, it sort of happens with your visor down, but you can at least flick the visor up to have a glance at where you're going, you can't do that with the screen).

3. Aesthetics. I like the screen to follow the line of the forks, it just looks better to me.

I have found that by positioning the screen around 1.5 inches from the headlight (all around) and lining the screen up with the forks, the top of the screen is about 2 inches below my line of sight when staring straight ahead (I'm 6'2" tall). This provides me with the maximum protection from the elements and directs the wind over my helmet with just a slight buffering right on the top of the lid.

I'm not sure what if any help this might be as it really is a case of sucking it and seeing, but I would urge anyone without a screen on a dragstar to vigorously consider fitting one as the ride ability of your machine will be greatly improved.

That said, I'm not going to be fitting a screen to my Harley as in my opinion, it just wouldn't look the part, the dragstar looks like a small Heritage Softail with the screen on, but the sportster would just look Gay.

Anyway, I'm off to be fed grapes by some gorgeous young thing whilst reclining on the sofa watching Jeremy Kyle. :D

Looking at past posts my screen is like yours, it clamps to the handlebars, I am 6'1 I have just got it as low as it will go in line with the rake of the forks but the black edge trim still seems too much in my line of site, I am going to see if moving the bar clamps more to the center gives me a bit more drop.

Thanks

So, your screen looks like this one.....

Screen.jpg

in that case, heres some pics that might help.......

Picture186.jpg

Picture187.jpg

Picture188-1.jpg

Picture185.jpg

Once the screen was lined up with the forks, the gap around the headlight in the last picture reduced to about 1.5 - 2 inches and the brackets were almost touching the top yoke.

Setting up this screen was a real ball ache. The screen itself is very good quality, but the mounting kit is shite of the finest order! I placed the sliding part (you'll know what I mean) halfway up the brackets and the 'P' plates bolt holes facing inwards (get it?)

With the clamps fixed aboiut an inch outward of the risers and the screen in line with the forks, this meant the brackets were pretty much touching the top yoke. I found this arrangement gave me the best results.

BTW without the screen is fine around town, but the screen will come into it's own when you head off down the motorway, the screen will be in your periferal vision but you will becme acustomed to that very quickly and it is worth the hassle as it really does make a huge difference.

Good luck, and let us know.

Yeah exactly like that, I have now got it where I think its about right and yeah the brackets are actually touching the yoke, angled the same as the forks, so will give it a try tomorrow as already on the cider... I think a couple of cable ties may stop it moving with the wind pressure.

Thanks for your help.

Very good, think I am going to enjoy it here, have fun, signing off now, and thanks to all for the help. Home brew is a calling.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online