07 DT125X Splutters

eggsandbacon
This post is 4636 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

P.S What does that thing do anyway? I had the bike running briefly with it off and expected it to bog down with all the air, but it just sounded deeper.

Edit: oops sorry mean't to edit other post not quote/reply.

Some sort of emissions gubbins I think, it wasnt on the DTR's but appeared on some of the RE's, you may find a tube from it that attaches to the exhaust at the front.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Some sort of emissions gubbins I think, it wasnt on the DTR's but appeared on some of the RE's, you may find a tube from it that attaches to the exhaust at the front.

Funny you should say that, it doesn't or ever did. But after looking in the haynes manual there is a cat pipe (a.i.s) fitted to the standard exhaust, though it doesn't show where it connects.

Funny you should say that, it doesn't or ever did. But after looking in the haynes manual there is a cat pipe (a.i.s) fitted to the standard exhaust, though it doesn't show where it connects.

yes i'm forgetting you have a front dep pipe. That plastic vessel used to connect to a little spigot just on the exhaust outlet from the cylinder.

yes i'm forgetting you have a front dep pipe. That plastic vessel used to connect to a little spigot just on the exhaust outlet from the cylinder.

I meant where on the airbox did it connect (thinking might need blocking off)

Anyways I have fitted the new gaskets which have stopped the oil coming from the joints but the backbox still has a snotty nose and the splutters persist.

Got a new plug and was gonna do a plug chop tonight but it's raining now.

I meant where on the airbox did it connect (thinking might need blocking off)

Anyways I have fitted the new gaskets which have stopped the oil coming from the joints but the backbox still has a snotty nose and the splutters persist.

Got a new plug and was gonna do a plug chop tonight but it's raining now.

is the DEP silencer oiled up? you may have to have it re-packed, or re-pack it yourself ;)

is the DEP silencer oiled up? you may have to have it re-packed, or re-pack it yourself ;)

Just a minor dribble, I'm not convinced that's what's causing the problem though as it ticks over, accelerates and sounds great.

The splutters are most noticable between 0 and 1/4 throttle when slowing. Pottering around seems fine.

I replaced the spark plug (BR8ES) which was a nice tan colour.

Air filter seems clean but something I found wierd; if I block the hole where the snorkel would of been it doesn't bog so it must be sucking air from elsewhere?

I'm also a bit worried about how little two stroke oil it's using; It came full with some bluey green stuff (I thought it was all red?), it must of had at least 5 tanks of fuel and its only used about half of the oil.

• 2 weeks later...

I have cleaned and repacked the silencer which has stopped the dribble.

I have also found out what the engine is doing to make it feel like it is; "4 stroking".

Though I'm still unsure why or how to remedy it.

Am I right in thinking if the pilot jet was blocked it wouldn't tick over?

I have been trying to sign up at dtr125.co.uk forums for the past week to no avail.

I have cleaned and repacked the silencer which has stopped the dribble.

Good

I have also found out what the engine is doing to make it feel like it is; "4 stroking".

Though I'm still unsure why or how to remedy it.

What???

Am I right in thinking if the pilot jet was blocked it wouldn't tick over?

Yes

I have been trying to sign up at dtr125.co.uk forums for the past week to no avail.

:o:wacko::shrug: you'd be better off here ;)

What???

Four stroking is when the engine fires on every second revolution in a no load situation and is quite a common on 2t dirtbikes.

Shouldn't be happening on a road bike but I have a feeling the larger expansion chamber of the dep to be the culprit.

Four stroking is when the engine fires on every second revolution in a no load situation and is quite a common on 2t dirtbikes.

Shouldn't be happening on a road bike but I have a feeling the larger expansion chamber of the dep to be the culprit.

Do you mean like 'engine hunting'? if so, a richer fuel to air mixture generally sorts this out.

Four stroking is a fuel rich mixture effect. is the pilot jet unscrewed / missing, is the choke off, is the air filter clean???

It's not your DEP thats doing it

Four stroking is a fuel rich mixture effect. is the pilot jet unscrewed / missing, is the choke off, is the air filter clean???

It's not your DEP thats doing it

I haven't had the carb in bits yet, the pilot mixture screw has an effect on idle rev so I presume the jet is functioning correctly.

I guess I really need to get it stripped down to see what's going on/if any jets have been changed.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online