My Bobber project

Noise
This post is 3581 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Your goin to all this work then why not drill holes in the bars and pull the wires through for a ultra clean look? 1 hole near the switch and 1 in the bottom between the bar clamps a bit of cover to run them under the tank , a micro kill button mounted in the bar end

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

New toys arrived this morning :D sporty tank, fuel tap and fuel cap. Looks SOOOOOOO much better than that old toaster

DSC_0215_zpsc05e6fa9.jpg

DSC_0217_zpsf5dae791.jpg

DSC_0218_zps2a2361fa.jpg

DSC_0219_zpsca5fe91d.jpg

glad to see you change your mind lol with the old tank you was close to change the topic name in my toa star bobber project :))

glad to see you change your mind lol with the old tank you was close to change the topic name in my toa star bobber project :))

Me to co's I didn't fancy eating my helmet if you had managed to make it look good

Ha ha the new Yamaha toa star range coming to a dealer near you!!

Yea I will be running the wires through the bars dt, just sorting out the switches first then planning my routes for the wires before I drill the holes. Not wanting to fuck up a set of £120 bars just for a rush job ha ha

Good choies Noise either plan to fail or fail to plan.

Ya got a free new lid tommy a bit of salt and pepper can make anything taste good,alas you don't have to LOL Noise came to his own sence or the meme's would have been comming..Toast anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Well may have finally got my hands on a welder to get the tank mounted to the frame and sort out the swing arm adn rear mud gaurd struts, then it will be off for powder and paint.

Question tho, with running the wires through the handle bars n that, think it would be wise to drill though the risers so that you cant seen the wire till the very last min? i have a pillar drill at work so keeping the hole straght n true wont be an issue, just wondered about the integrity of the riser.

I wouldn't suggest it,how about running them to the middle of the risers(center of bars) and covering the wires from both sides with some braided covering,a service/water supply hose for a toilet can be a cheap way to get some stainless braiding cut the ends off and remove the plastic inner then it would be big enough to fit all the wires inside. then into the head light bucket that should look clean

Only reason I though of this is I just had to go buy a new one cost me 8 bucks.

Utube "king of random" he has a vid about how to make a spot welder from a microwave transformer,and other cool stuff

looking at your pics I wouldn't go through the riser's its look's neat but not save. Mind I'm no engineer and no experience in this but all I'd say is use your common sense, your in the best position to inspect the parts you want to alter, its hard to know just looking at pics

but better safe than dead I always say. oh I like Dt50's suggestion and its cheap as chips

Yer thats a good idea DT will look into it, i may even still have some stainless hose left over from when i done the fuel lines and breather pipes last time i rebuit her.

So another idea out the window i think then ha ha. Just thought if the wires go through the bars then down through the risers you aint going to see them till the last minute but with drilling come integrity dramas and i guess would you / I trust they to hold up in and emergency stop with all that weight transfering through them.

Right! onto more thinking and debating what to do to create a better Betty

Your avitar pict is small but it looks as if they cut the back bone out and replaced it with a single bar to fit the sporty tank down lower?

I'm guessing your going for a look simmilar to it,depending on your welding skills it wouldn't be that hard to do, just weld in some jig bars to keep the frame straight lower on the frame before cutting the back bone out then position in the new bar weld and gusset it to keep the frame stiff. then cut out the the jig bars.,Might even be possiblt to fit the new bar befor cuttin out the old

If I were giving someone a estimate to do it I would be thinking around 12-16 hrs .

Not a huge job but if you think you might want to do it ,you will need a hole saw kit to drill/cut the new pipe to fit to the neck stock and rear post, a grinder to cut out the old and finish fit the new,and lot's of gaffer tape if you don't have a welder hahah.

The pipe you cut out would be re used to gusset the new pipe so cost wise it wouldn't be verry expensive as the only part needed would be a new pipe and some welding rod.

I was never much of a fan of the crusiers but I'm now thinking of doing one as I cant find a srx600 anywhere on this side and your project has me thinking of what I could do with one.

Just some more food for thought.

Na I can't lower the back bone due to the engine so just running as it is. I maybe doing other bits n Bob's but need to think more on them before I say what they are lol.

Go for it. I'd love to do a hardly Chop One day but I think if I did ever sell betty I'd be doing a V max bobber next.

NOOOOOO do not scar a v max or I will never forgive you :shakeno: ,the fj 1100 and v max, rz /rd350 and 500 are the only true bike's that yam built that need no up grades they are perfect just the way they are.. possibly the xs 650 as well a poor copy of a triumph but worty of the fact that it didn''t have lucas wiring or amal carbs.

I don't want to hi jack your thread so if other's feel different then start a new thread and I will respond tommrow as the weather is so nice I am going for a ride. :hyper:

Well that plans i have for a Vmax is to get a crashed one that still has a good working motor then get a custom one off frame and go from there so technically wouldn't be scaring one ha ha.

The XS650 has been done to death and rightly so as its a cracking bike to do, but its now hard to come up with "new" ideas on them and plus they are lacking in the performace section. Same with a Triumph Bonnie and not to mention that they are holding there value very well over here.

Well im sure only time will tell on what i end up with later in life, but at the moment im with Betty haha

Hope the ride was a good one :thumb:

Noise, it is possible to cut the frame and replace with a single backbone tube. What you need to do is buy a single carb kit from these people: http://www.kjsmotorcycleworks.com/vstarVirago.html

What you get in the kit is a single 40mm mikuni horizontal carb with the correct jets and an inlet manifold to fit. You can then fit a great big bellmouth/stack on it like the old Harleys. :D Costs about £400 delivered to the UK from Canada. You get a significant boost in horsepower, torque and fuel economy by doing this mod. It also makes it a lot easier to change jets and do maintenance on it, since the carb will be sticking out the side rather than hidden under the tank. This also has the added benefit of simplicity and reliability.

This leaves you free to cut the backbone and replace it with a single tube.

Rat Bob, you are a FUCKING STAR!!!

only thing is tho.......................now i have to spend £400 with out the wife finding out. This may have to be a next year job as so far the money i spent so far goes some thing like this:

• £520 crack and con rods
  • £177 Gaskets
  • £120 Fuel tank, fuel tap and cap
  • £30 (toaster)
  • £90 Jammer Z bars
  • £40 handle bar grips
  • £30 Harley throttle tunnel
  • £100-£250 powder coat (soon)
  • £100-150 stainless steel spokes (soon to buy)
  • £100 Indicators (soon to buy)
  • £50 number plate bracket (soon to buy)
  • £30 ignition barrel (soon to buy)
  • £5 push start buttom (soon to buy)
  • £40 small head light (soon to buy)
  • £200 hot shot coils and new performance CDI (soon to buy)
  • £300 Solo seat

GRAND TOTAL OF £2082 SO FAR

So as you can see this thing is costing me a pretty penny and i can see the wife wanting me to buy her some thing soon so adding another £400 to the bill aint going to be easy.

Yer that toaster i thought was a fuel tank did cost £30, shamefull i know.

Um.............some people wouldn't really call it "some seat" nor even close to just "Seat" a squirel thats been run over by a lorry is thicker than my seat and the only real padding on it, is the leather. I got it in chicargo and its hand tooled with a malteese cross and some skulls, yet another one of those spur of the moment Ebay purchases.

mms_img-451420179.jpg

I was impressed when you said you got it in Chicargo then you spoiled it and mentioned Ebay, should look great on the bike though

Finally got hold of my mates mig welder yesterday so last night I got trained by YouTube and had a stab at my first ever time of welding. Ok it's prob not 100% gravy but the holes are gone, no warping or over heating and my crap shack isn't on fire lol

DSC_0238_zps16827751.jpg

DSC_0239_zps0827d014.jpg

Still need to finish them off as there is still a very small hole that I missed and only showed up after I grounded the welds back