Should I buy a used 2000 R1?

M Falcon
This post is 7049 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Looking for some help here:

My local dealer has a sparkling almost-new R1 for sale at $6700.

It a blue 2000 R1 has 950 miles.

It has not been down.

The previous owner never rode the bike; garage queen.

My question is that I am a relative novice rider. I do plan to take riding/track lessons, AND I plan to ride on weekends VERY responsibly.

Do you think:

a) the 2000 R1 is a good model?

B) this is good choice, or should I go with a R6?

Thank you in advance,

JOHN

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Any R1 is a good choice but if your a novice go for the R6.

You may regret buying the R1 but you will never regret the R6!

Hi,

I own a 2001 R1 and have done so for 3 years, I have toured europe on it twice, done trackdays and general blasts with my mates. I have to say in all circumstances it has been brilliant. I have never had any reliability problems at all (But it does like rear tyres).

However, l would agree with N_Tart if you have little experiance go for the R6, the R1 is easy to ride at 50% but push it and it will bite (And Wheelie and scare you stupid). Then again stuff it you are only here once buy the thing

Have Fun

Daglad

:twisted:

When you say novice, what do you mean ?

If you are a year or so into your license then take the advice and go for a 6.

The R1's are, well, too much for any inexperienced rider.

I've got 17 years under my belt of 2 wheel hooliganism / riding / experience and I found that I really couldn't take full advantage on the road of a 2001 model R1.

Palin and simple, they go and keep going so that it feels like your arms are being pulled off, and then you find there's another 1/4 twist on the throttle to go :shock:

It's a big bike too - If you are a space frame chassis like me, you need a smaller bike like the R6.

Whatever you do - stay alive and enjoy. The R6 is now 'THE' bike you are most likely to become a statistic with. There have been 3 fatalaties in the last 8 months around my hack with R6's going too fast.

Let's be careful out there.

the Y00/01 R1´s are the best vintage of R1.

More fun to drive than the 02/03 efi´s and more reliable/stable than first 98/99´s. Cant really say anything about the 04-05 models yet.

if you have an opportunity to buy ab quality 01 r1 just go for it.

and as for the r6 thingi... you´ll regret the missing oomph sometime. probably not in the first 2 years but eventually you will. buy the R1!

the Y00/01 R1´s are the best vintage of R1. 

More fun to drive than the 02/03 efi´s and more reliable/stable than first 98/99´s. Cant really say anything about the 04-05 models yet.

if you have an opportunity to buy ab quality 01 r1 just go for it. 

and as for the r6 thingi... you´ll regret the missing oomph sometime. probably not in the first 2 years but eventually you will. buy the R1!

Invest in a good supply of underwear too !

You WILL need it ! :lol:

When you say novice, what do you mean ?

If you are a year or so into your license then take the advice and go for a 6.

The R1's are, well, too much for any inexperienced rider.

Let's be careful out there.

Sounds like the 600 is the way to go. And yes, i do plan to be careful. It was just that I appreciate the extra horsepower in my automobiles (currently own a 2000 M5) and thought it MAY apply with my bike. I must say that a liter bike does kinda scare me-- it would be a couple years before I would see myself getting on the throttle full.

What really caught my attention was the $6700 price for a 2001 R1 with 900 in perfect condition. THAT looks a good deal- and I love a good deal.

You guys don't sound like a 2001 R1 is a bad model year or anything-- you just think its too too much juice for a novice rider...

I appreciate the advice and everyone weighing-in!

Hi,

However, l would agree with N_Tart if you have little experiance go for the R6, the R1 is easy to ride at 50% but push it and it will bite (And Wheelie and scare you stupid). Then again stuff it you are only here once buy the thing

Have Fun

Daglad

:twisted:

I disagree with you m8. The throttle works both ways! All bikes can bite. I just think that you should go for the best bike that you can afford.

I disagree with you m8. The throttle works both ways! All bikes can bite. I just think that you should go for the best bike that you can afford.

Hi Alan,

You are correct the throttle does go both ways and all bikes do bite. I guess my point is the R1 is such an easy bike to ride it can flatter your riding ability a bit and get you into situations quicker than you realise, but after saying that it is a brilliant bit of kit. One question to consider is insurance if you haven't been riding very long.

God l sound old. Buy it, enjoy it, there really isn't a better feeling, just make sure you do a trackday then you really can send it on as it was intended to do.

Daglad :P

• 2 weeks later...

That's why a great deal of riders (mid 30's - 40's) are getting killed at the mo, the bike inspires too much confidece...

getting scrubbed out is deffo not on the 'things to do list'

That's why a great deal of riders (mid 30's - 40's) are getting killed at the mo, the bike inspires too much confidece...

getting scrubbed out is deffo not on the 'things to do list'

They have, they are, they always will do! Probably not the most sensible contribution but the point is it's your life live it. I think the events over the last week have brought that into focus. Have you bought anything yet M Falcon?

:blink:

They have, they are, they always will do!  Probably not the most sensible contribution but the point is it's your life live it. I think the events over the last week have brought that into focus. Have you bought anything yet M Falcon?

:blink:

Actually that R1 is gone- sold within a week i think- 950 miles on it for $6700. But no sweat. Talking to a couple bike buddies got me thinking, "OK... I'm going with a 600." You guys are right; a liter bike is too much juice for an inexperienced rider like me. Plus, I can always upgrade later, right?

And, I love, I LOVE, the look of the Yamaha and the seat/riding set-up. It does seem like the R6 is bit more spendy that say a GSXR600 though. Any thoughts on that choice: GSXR600 vs R6?

Happy 2005!

JOHN

Not that I really have anything against the Gixxer....it's a decent bike ;) ......

I'd still go for the R6 Hands-Down! B) .......still think it's well worth the extra cash.........

but then again, I'm a bit biased......being a bonafied YamaHolic & all. :icon_cheesygrin:

Actually that R1 is gone- sold within a week i think- 950 miles on it for $6700.  But no sweat.  Talking to a couple bike buddies got me thinking, "OK... I'm going with a 600."  You guys are right; a liter bike is too much juice for an inexperienced rider like me.  Plus, I can always upgrade later, right?

And, I love, I LOVE, the look of the Yamaha and the seat/riding set-up.  It does seem like the R6 is bit more spendy that say a GSXR600 though.  Any thoughts on that choice: GSXR600 vs R6?

Happy 2005!

JOHN

I had the loan of a '99 R6 when my mate went touring for 9 months did nearly 9000 miles on it it was a cracking bike. My other half bought a gixer 6 this year it's a '02 model. I've done lots of miles and trackdays on it (crashed it twice :whistle:) it's a good bike but I have been hasseling him to swap it for an R6 :D

R1 can be really nervous when coming out of corners also in long really fast corners where you need to accelerate all the way out. R6 is more easier to handle in close_to_shit_to_your_pants situations. I still remember my first test drive with -03 R1, I did have one hour driving time but after 20 min. I did take it back to shop. There was two things eighter I will loose my driving licence or my life.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online