Stumped by luggage for the YOC

DirtyDT
This post is 4699 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I can't find any panniers small enough not to foul the indicators or to have me sitting on them. I don't want to get a rack as It isn't really cost effective, I don't like big tankbags unless I am away for a long while (I have a Bagster cover fitted) and tail packs/bags make it really difficult to hop on the bike as the rear seat is stepped up a lot. I have been looking for options for weeks and it is getting to me :angry:. Should I get a National Express coach there? The last bit was a joke by the way. Picture of the dilemma.

lug.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I can't find any panniers small enough not to foul the indicators or to have me sitting on them. I don't want to get a rack as It isn't really cost effective, I don't like big tankbags unless I am away for a long while (I have a Bagster cover fitted) and tail packs/bags make it really difficult to hop on the bike as the rear seat is stepped up a lot. I have been looking for options for weeks and it is getting to me :angry:. Should I get a National Express coach there? The last bit was a joke by the way. Picture of the dilemma.

lug.jpg

I'll bet this bloke wished he'd just got a tent and a few bits and bobs to carry on his bike :blink:

luggage.png

I'll bet this bloke wished he'd just got a tent and a few bits and bobs to carry on his bike :blink:

luggage.png

:lol: I have seen 3 people and a live sheep on a C50 in North Africa. Only a one way ride for the sheep though.

I do like the Tuk-tuk that is to his right.

What i did on my old 600 when i was rallying proper.

Piece of 10mm ply 600x300, cover one side with seat sponge using carpet glue then a cheap car mat on the other, drill a couple of (20mm) holes to suit the back of the bike for bungees.

Remove the sissy bar from the back of the bike then bungee the board on, then load bike and then with a couple of longer bungee's strap the whole bloody lot down.

That would get me, a decent sized holdall, tent and bedroll anywhere i needed. Granted it would cause a weave at 100mph+ but thats hardly a big problem.

Not branded or hitec but effective and more importantly cheap.

Its the height on the back that I don't really want.

When I brought the bike it must have had a Givi rack as the rear fittings that fit onto the subframe are still there. If I get a chance tomorrow, I will have a measure up but I was thinking of knocking up something like this to move the indicators back. and fit it to the bike by using the rack fitting and the indicator fitting hole as the indicators will be on the end of the stalk. There are some ally bars on evilbay that would suffice. I know I will have to extend the wires. This means that I can throw panniers over and tie them down.

stalk.jpg

Here is the Givi mounting

givi.jpg

Its the height on the back that I don't really want.

When I brought the bike it must have had a Givi rack as the rear fittings that fit onto the subframe are still there. If I get a chance tomorrow, I will have a measure up but I was thinking of knocking up something like this to move the indicators back. and fit it to the bike by using the rack fitting and the indicator fitting hole as the indicators will be on the end of the stalk. There are some ally bars on evilbay that would suffice. I know I will have to extend the wires. This means that I can throw panniers over and tie them down.

stalk.jpg

Here is the Givi mounting

givi.jpg

I can see your going the side pannier way, but looking at your bike, I'm thinking if that rear seat comes off, can you make a top box bracket somehow?

I can see your going the side pannier way, but looking at your bike, I'm thinking if that rear seat comes off, can you make a top box bracket somehow?

It unlocks with the key very easily. Suzuki make replacement rear seats with a place to mount a topbox. People also just bolt Givi racks to a standard one and than fit the box to that. The thing I want to get over is having to hop one footed between the tank and what is on the back seat so ideally want to go the pannier route. I could just get a Givi rack and box as the box would be far enough back to allow me to throw my leg over as normal. I don't really want to spend £200.

It unlocks with the key very easily. Suzuki make replacement rear seats with a place to mount a topbox. People also just bolt Givi racks to a standard one and than fit the box to that. The thing I want to get over is having to hop one footed between the tank and what is on the back seat so ideally want to go the pannier route. I could just get a Givi rack and box as the box would be far enough back to allow me to throw my leg over as normal. I don't really want to spend £200.

Ah right see what you mean, and £200 is a fair whack, shame you can't get some measurements of the Givi rack, I could possibly knock you one up , and doctor a decent sized cheap box off e-bay to suit it.

Thanks for the offer NEV and if you were still in Derby I would pop up to discuss it.

The racks are just under £100 and the box would be the other £100. the box would just go into storage for 51 weeks of the year.

I could make the brackets out of the straight ally strip and then put a tube in place of the bent bracket. There is plenty of cheap ally on evilbay including ally tubing. I will have to look tomorrow. If not it is debit card time.

I don't want to carry too much but I need enough space to get my dinner suits in without creasing them :) .

sorry but i really cant see what your problem is i also have a sports bike no panniers givi rack etc but never have any problems. i use a duffle bag with tent in sleeping bag,pillow spare tee shirts and underwear bungee strapsto grab rail and footpegs and have travelled from manchester to switzerland and also throughout the uk a small rucksack on my back with personal items camera washing gear etc so i cant see what your worrying about

DSC01542.jpg

its only two nights. :D

Are ye 'biding' with us this time Broony ? :D

I don't like the Renntec's BWJ. I had one on my GSXR and it was megga pants. For the extra £30 I would go Givi TBH.

sorry but i really cant see what your problem is ......................... i cant see what your worrying about........................its only two nights. :D

I too have ridden many miles and trips across Europe - including Geneva - on many bikes. My problem is that even on all out sports bikes I have managed to squeeze a set of panniers on it. With this bike I can't. I am not in the least worried I was just posting about my frustration.

I too have ridden many miles and trips across Europe - including Geneva - on many bikes. My problem is that even on all out sports bikes I have managed to squeeze a set of panniers on it. With this bike I can't. I am not in the least worried I was just posting about my frustration.

as a tight old bastard i would also not be spending £200 on a giva rack and box as for panniers unless they came with the bike i would not bother either.

no chance of me in a dinner suit unless they do them in leather. :lol:

Are ye 'biding' with us this time Broony ? :D

no chance i will have me own tent. :lol::lol:

as a tight old bastard................

:lol: I will make sure you get the first round in. Thanks for the heads up ;)

On a positive note I gave the bike it's big 15k service (14.3k on the speedo). The tappet gaps are fine. The plugs were a nice light brown with a slightly bigger gap. It had a nice glug of Rock Oil Guardian semi synthetic. I also fitted the German evilbay speedo rotor (as the speedo stopped working - common on SV's) and this now works. It even got a wash.

Now just need to sort out the luggage and a bent ally bar though the number plate fitting with the indicators would do that and allow some humpbacks to fit.

:lol: I will make sure you get the first round in. Thanks for the heads up ;)

dont hold your breath :lol::lol:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online