R6 Tyres

chrisw
This post is 7051 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys

Got a quick question on tyres for the 2004 R6, as Standard they come with D208 (special fittment), and recently I had to have some new ones fitted after a puncture, but the Yam Dealer hadn't got any 208's in, but said a set of Bridgestones 010's would be ok, However I've had them on the bike now and just can't get use to them. At slow speeds through corners they feel like they want to tuck under the bike and jack knife on me, and at higher speeds in corners they just don't want to turn quickly at all, and a lot of effort has to be used to get the things to countersteer.

Naturally this is getting on my nerves and is making riding the bike very un-nerving, and is zapping all confidence in the bikes handling.

Has anyone got any experience of this sort of thing ?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Not on an R6.......but I've had similar experiences with Bridgestones before :? .......they're not bad tires, but I just think they don't give that great feedback to the rider like Dunlops do. :wink:

I used Bridgestones all the time on my ZXR400 and they where brilliant. I put some on me R1 once cos I couldn't get any 207's and they where bloody awful after 200 miles I was willing to steal some dunlops but luckily I didn't have to cos the shop got some in!

It's funny how tyre's can make or break a bike innit!

Hey NT - being a former ZXR owner, are you up with any tuning or general info on the bike.

I'm doing one at the moment, need some guidance as everything looks pretty much spot on with the head and valves.

J

Hmm depends what you want to know my mate Paddy used to do most of the work it needed. Fiddling around in all those little nooks and crannys made me lose the will to live!

They are known for having fragile engines but I did 85,000 on mine only thing ever needed doing was the rockers arms. Sounds more hassel and expense thn it actually was. Bloody clutch cable was a pain in the arse. It was routed right touching the engine, the heat used to sieze it up at regular intervals, they're quite cheap though so I could never be bothered with the hassel of unseizing it. Prey you don't need a headlight bulb they are £32.68 inc vat and trust me no matter what you try you won't find anything else that fits.

I put a full stainless micron system on mine, had it jetted and a K+N fitted was pants up to about 8 grand but after that went like a bloody rocket!

If you have any specific questions let me know my memory's not so good these days so it takes a while to trawl through all the dodgy files :lol:

Well I'm glad others are saying the same thing, I was begining to become more and more fed up with the handling and assumed it was the tyres, I guess I can now safely say it is.

I might run these through winter and get some new ones for next seasons decent riding.

Thanks for your input guys/gals (don't want to get accused of being sexist).

Hi there

just new to the forum and was reading a few things and can relate to the problems of tyre choice. I own a 53 plate R6 and hated the Dunlops they were too peaky that is giving too rapid turn in characteristic......in other words I knew the true colour of shite. In the end went for Pirelli Diablo's just fantastic, great in the wet, confidence building right over conerning......did make the move of changing the front from a 60 to a 70 but would rather have the 60 to which I will be going back to......really need to drop the yokes by couple of mill with the 70 front....speak to your dealer/suspension expert. But hey what do I know I'm only a girly biker who does 12000+ mile a year up here in the depths of antarctic Scotland on my R6......a girls bike!

Crummy .... what's up don't you like getting on your bike .. 12,000 + miles a year, my bikes only 6 months old from new and it's got over 8,000 miles on it already :D Use it come shine, rain, sleet, or snow. Even riding the R6 in the snow is better that using the car to get to work, besides it add's that little bit of adventure to the journey :?

I know what you mean about the Dunlops, when I first bought the bike I found myself steering into corners too much. but I got use to it and I found that the dunlops were great all round tyres, never felt unstable, whether scraping my knee or trying my first wheelie ... my god was that funny no footer for my first wheelie .... trust me I know what the color of shite is as well. Did read in a mag once that changing to Pirelli Diablos made the bike lean over a lot more, but as for talking to my shop for guidance on tyre/suspension set up ... well it was those buggers who said the Bridgestones.

Thanks for your feedback it's good to hear from someone who can say they've had good results from a tyre product. Now all you need to do is get on the bike a bit more and catch up with me :lol:

Bike is tucked up for winter won't be out til March at least. Roads are way too greasy and over gritted up here. Have never seen the roads in such a bad state what with famers crap from fields, diesel spills and stuff. Not worth it heard of a guy who came off from his brand new Fazer 1000 due to farmers muck on the road. Can just about cope with a few months of non biking action and have a full season of biking fun 2005.

Use it come shine, rain, sleet, or snow. Even riding the R6 in the snow is better that using the car to get to work, besides it add's that little bit of adventure to the journey  :? 

You know it Chris! :wink:

NO GUTS.....NO GLORY!! 8) :tu

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm depends what you want to know my mate Paddy used to do most of the work it needed. Fiddling around in all those little nooks and crannys made me lose the will to live!

They are known for having fragile engines but I did 85,000 on mine only thing ever needed doing was the rockers arms. Sounds more hassel and expense thn it actually was. Bloody clutch cable was a pain in the arse. It was routed right touching the engine, the heat used to sieze it up at regular intervals, they're quite cheap though so I could never be bothered with the hassel of unseizing it. Prey you don't need a headlight bulb they are £32.68 inc vat and trust me no matter what you try you won't find anything else that fits.

I put a full stainless micron system on mine, had it jetted and a K+N fitted was pants up to about 8 grand but after that went like a bloody rocket!

If you have any specific questions let me know my memory's not so good these days so it takes a while to trawl through all the dodgy files :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, what boots did you find worked best ? Also, did you use the plug n de-restrictor thingy in the loom or not ?

How often did it need servicing and is there anything in particular that dies quickly ?

I'm trying to find a manual too as the bike belongs to a girl I know and she's a little bit stuck for info etc..

Thanks - J

About those tires... I have found that Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa is one of best tires I have ever used. SC1 to front and SC2 rear.

What bike was that on JP_445 ?

• 2 weeks later...

I used to have a 2002 R6(that got stolen) and had the D208's on it. When I got my 2003 R1 it had the D208's on it and when I wore them out I went to the Michelin Pilot Sport. I like them even better than the D208's. They warm up fast and stick like glue. I only got about 5000 miles out of my 208's and I'm over 5K on my Pilots but still have a LOT of tread left. Try them out. I think you will like them.