dtr 125 want start

james2005
This post is 4722 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i have promblem starting the bike i've took the spark plug out and kicked it over nothing comes of it. could i need a new ignition coil please help

is it sparking at the plug, you need to ground the plug to the engine when checking or ground it with a jump lead around the metal body to a bolt on the engine.

yes i grounded on the engine no spark

Gap o.k? oiled? c'mon james help us out here mate ;)

Letricks not my thing :unsure:

Could be a few things.

First of all did it ever run while you had it ???

Kill switch

Fuses

HT lead

Ignition

Primery coil

Secondary coil

Little white conection box at rear of bike,,,left hand side, below the seat, not under seat.

Think the lads need more info from you in order to be able to help ya with your prob !!!

the bike started fine when i had it. all i've done is cleaned the air filter and replced the exhurst as it's blowning

Maybe a silly question, but hell I'm going to ask it anyway, because you'd be surprised at how many people this catches out, are you trying to start it with the sidestand down? because if you are it won't start, because theres a safety cut-off switch there, that won't allow the engine to start with it down. Just a thought. ;)

i have promblem starting the bike i've took the spark plug out and kicked it over nothing comes of it. could i need a new ignition coil please help

It might need a new coil. You can check the resistance of the coil with an Ohm meter, but I am not familiar with your model so can't say what resistance you should see, but I would guess somewhere around 3 to 5 ohms. Sometimes the coil wire can burn or break internally, so if you read an "open" circuit on the meter, this might be the problem. Could also be a short in your on/off switch, or a number of other electrical things.... start by checking the coil first and work your way back.

Good luck. should clarify... that is the primary side of the coil. ON the secondary side, it is probably much higher resistance.. like 5K.

hello checked all wires it had a alarm in the bike disconnected the alarm and i got a wopping belt of the plug

many thanks for your help

Nice one, a result then ey? ride safe!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online