Newbie in everyway!

This post is 4750 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone,

Well I've started now on my little Dragstar project. Mostly because of a 14 year old chav that nicked it and beat it up. Its running ok just cosmetic really so seems ideal time to play about.

Its a 125 and I'm not looking to make it faster or something its not, just make it my own and moreso learn about bikes and hopefully the achievement of taking something and making it my own.

I have never done so much as change a spark plug but so far I've worked out a few things and I'm happy with progress, but damn sure I'll e getting stuck here and there.

I could really use some tips on where to source bits like pedals, mirrors, seat and custom bits as so far I've done a bit on google and ebay but I guess theres some really good places on the web or localish (Essex) I can find too.

Thanks for the help so far on my other thread in custom section, I will keep that one updated on progress just in case I learn something thats a benefit to others.

Heres a pic of where I am at: (I call this the took it all off now feeling a bit daunted stage!)

tiPHONEPICS635.jpg

Plan is to:

- Change handle bars to straight

- Strip her down a bit, make it leaner (not sure if thats a bobber look, still learning terminology)

- re-spray the tank and black stuff and a few other bits a satin (matt) black

- Change indicators and lights

- Do something with the wheels, not sure I'm into spokes but can't find alternative like chrome covers for it (yet..help pls)

Cheers, chat to a few of you as time goes on..

Ty

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Thanks for the link, I've given them a call and plan to pop down there.

Its the hunt for wheel covers that tough, I think I need to find a friendly fabricator.

Cheers

Ty

Thanks for the link, I've given them a call and plan to pop down there.

Its the hunt for wheel covers that tough, I think I need to find a friendly fabricator.

Cheers

Ty

Hi and welcome.

As well as shops, there are loads of bits you can buy online. Some will take a little fettling. I prefer straight bars on this type of bike but with forward controls I would sit on it and see just how comfortable it would be to ride. Cut the back off, put a single seat on it and a very short rear mudguard. Back end, sorted.

Welcome ty, nice intro.

She is still a clean looking bike. Your dead right, now is the time to change her look. I like your idea's of stripping her back and giving it a more street fighter/ bobber look. I wouldn't mind doing that to me virago.

Not yet though :lol: I've just finished putting it back together :D

Plan is to:

- Change handle bars to straight

- Strip her down a bit, make it leaner (not sure if thats a bobber look, still learning terminology)

- re-spray the tank and black stuff and a few other bits a satin (matt) black

- Change indicators and lights

- Do something with the wheels, not sure I'm into spokes but can't find alternative like chrome covers for it (yet..help pls)

Cheers, chat to a few of you as time goes on..

Ty

i think your best bet would be to decide exactly what kinda "look" your wanting. have a look on google to get an idea of what your going for.

oh and as to indicators the front ones have a rubber mount...the light comes off the rubber but there is a round chunk of metal/chrome in there. if you cut round it to the metal (like your taking the rubber of wire, you can stick it in a vice and twist the metal bit out.

then you can put any other indicator in the mount ;) handy tip for ya.

as to wheels its going to be tricky finding some to fit.......good luck! but could you get plastic covers? that go over the spokes?

have a look on e-bay for lights.....the only problem i found is finding a rear light with an adjustable mount....(comes in handy trust me!)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online