XJ 6

Arthur45
This post is 4728 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Sorry to seem really dense but I have returned to biking after a long break. My old bikes were all singles or twins. I now have a new XJ6 naked. The 4 cylinder engine is great after a large 500 single! But any advice on gear usage. Around town I think I am short shifting a lot using 5 th and 6 th too much. The bike pulls well but I think j should be using 3 rd and 4 th in the 30 zones. Whats the best rev range for town riding? Also has anyone fitted a devil end can on the original exhaust? It's so quite.

Cheers.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Your right Arthur-keep it spinney in the town-3rd or 4th mostly B)

im usually 2nd and 3rd for my XJ6, keep it low but not too low in the gears, you still do want that instant response incase something bad happens.

I had the same problem Arthur. Except for me it was the legacy from driving a car. High Gear low revs etc...

I've got the 09 Divvy and I'm finding it responds pretty well in 3rd at 30mph and only really shift to 4th when it's 35-40mph. Then it's really easy to open her up on the sliproads to the motorway ;0)

• 3 weeks later...

What ever gear you find yourself in don't forget you always have the option of feathering the clutch. Bike clutches unlike car ones are made to be "ridden" to a certain extent. If you find yourself in 5 but need some more power hold the clutch before or around the bite point and allow the engine to spin up and then let it out SLOWLY! This way you can get access to the XJ's higher rev power even when travelling slow in a top gears.

Practice this when its quite lest you dont end up in a wheelie!

Adam_Fozz