Bike Quits

ohradian
This post is 4775 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok see what you guys think. Took the 1990 Yamaha Radian yx 600 for it's first ride yesterday. After bout 15 min of riding the bike just lost all engine power as in it almost seemed like it was running out of gas. As soon as i pulled over it quit and would not restart for about 15 min. After that started fine and had power again. On the way home it did the same thing again. Waited 15 min and then it ran fine. I checked to make sure the fuel filter wasn't clogged even though i didn't think that could be it. Checked the boots and the vaccum hose to see if they were cracked or anything but they all looked good. Haven't tried the WD40 test yet. Haven't had time. So now i'm thinking maybe its a coil going bad. Also i have had the bike for about a year. It wasn't running when I got it but i didn't replace the spark plugs. I know I know.... Stupid but could that possibly be it? Just wanted to see what others opinions on this were. Let me know what you think. thanks guys...

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Tank breather trapped, blocked or otherwise ineffective?

Try opening the gas cap when it 'quits' and listen for a rush of air, see if it will re-start quickly.

Hello and welcome, we have a 'Noobs' forum if you please

My name is Paul

Tank breather trapped, blocked or otherwise ineffective?

Try opening the gas cap when it 'quits' and listen for a rush of air, see if it will re-start quickly.

Hello and welcome, we have a 'Noobs' forum if you please

My name is Paul

Hi Paul :welcome:

So, Ok, welcome to the on line version of 'one flew over the cuckoos nest' Paul :blink:

As OG says. Could be a blocked breather (cap off) or heat evaporating the fuel in the carbs (check fuel pipe routing) or check for a blocked filter (especially inline ones).

Thanks Paul. It's not the breather cap though. I opened it the first time it quit to make sure i wasn't out of fuel.(Check the obvious first. lol) Took it for a ride again today. Did the same thing. Tried pulling off the plug wires to see if it was getting spark and got shocked through the plug wire. Thinkin i may need new plug wires as well as plugs. But im still not sure that new plugs and wires are going to solve my problem. I guess i'll try it though and see what happens. Also it's not a plugged filter. I checked the filter and its clean. Also i could sit and watch fuel flow through the fuel line when trying to start it. I did the WD 40 test as well to check for a vaccum leak when it was actually running and idling. As soon as i sprayed some WD 40 in the carbs the engines rpm's dropped down and it almost stalled. Which usually indicates that there is not a vaccum leak. My best guess is that i got bad plugs or that my coil is not puttin enough juice to the plugs. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks for the help so far. It's very much appreciated.

Thanks Paul. It's not the breather cap though. I opened it the first time it quit to make sure i wasn't out of fuel.(Check the obvious first. lol) Took it for a ride again today. Did the same thing. Tried pulling off the plug wires to see if it was getting spark and got shocked through the plug wire. Thinkin i may need new plug wires as well as plugs. But im still not sure that new plugs and wires are going to solve my problem. I guess i'll try it though and see what happens. Also it's not a plugged filter. I checked the filter and its clean. Also i could sit and watch fuel flow through the fuel line when trying to start it. I did the WD 40 test as well to check for a vaccum leak when it was actually running and idling. As soon as i sprayed some WD 40 in the carbs the engines rpm's dropped down and it almost stalled. Which usually indicates that there is not a vaccum leak. My best guess is that i got bad plugs or that my coil is not puttin enough juice to the plugs. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks for the help so far. It's very much appreciated.

Have you checked you have the correct spark plug?Many years ago I had a similar problem with a z250 only to find it running a spark plug with a too higher heat range,causing engine to overheat.

Hi, I have an '89 XJ and I think it has the same engine as the Radian, which means its air cooled right? If you can't find a fuel problem, could it be overheating? Check your oil cooler to see if its hot when the bike quits. If its cool, then maybe there is a blockage in the oil system that is causing the engine to overheat?

I'm no expert, but it might be worth checking.