xvs 125 stopped in mid flight!

Tom Clare
This post is 4765 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, hope you are well.

I am an all-weather rider, and have been used to riding with headlight on no matter what, but a couple of months ago bike rugularly struggled to start while headlights switch was on...after switching all electrics off and trying again it would find it easier to start but still not how it used to be. i had a new battery put on may 2010.

a week ago, i noticed that when i was stationary at a junction ticking over with indicator on, it would play havvock not flashing in time and going mega fast. Strange?!

THEN 2 days ago 16 miles from home with a full tank while riding she was slowing down, revs the lot. after pulling over i managed to keep her going for 30secs then cut out, not even ignition - or power for the horn! (leaving me to push her up a rather nice hill :()

called AA, i insisted on a motorbike van, but they were tied up in london and i was in Wing, near stewkley! so i got an old boy kitted out for a car. After waiting 3 hours id already taken battery panel off.

He turned up, connected jump pack, and wahhhey! Ignition and started 1st time. Waiting 10mins, took off n she cut out. hmmmm.

using a volt meter saw only 6 going thru it without jump pack. i then got recovered to home.

surely this would be a charging problem? Yesterday i bought new battery n fitted it. Works fine, but i want peace of mind that there isnt a charging prob. my garage have said that without a volt meter i could try starting engine keeping ticking over, headlights on and as i rev headlight will appear brighter if bike is charging battery. to be honest, in my opinion nothing changed.

Does anyone have any advice or been through this? if i buy a volt meter im presuming that it should be 12 after starting and 12 before? would that prove everything ok?

Many Thanks,

Tom

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all, hope you are well.

I am an all-weather rider, and have been used to riding with headlight on no matter what, but a couple of months ago bike rugularly struggled to start while headlights switch was on...after switching all electrics off and trying again it would find it easier to start but still not how it used to be. i had a new battery put on may 2010.

a week ago, i noticed that when i was stationary at a junction ticking over with indicator on, it would play havvock not flashing in time and going mega fast. Strange?!

THEN 2 days ago 16 miles from home with a full tank while riding she was slowing down, revs the lot. after pulling over i managed to keep her going for 30secs then cut out, not even ignition - or power for the horn! (leaving me to push her up a rather nice hill :()

called AA, i insisted on a motorbike van, but they were tied up in london and i was in Wing, near stewkley! so i got an old boy kitted out for a car. After waiting 3 hours id already taken battery panel off.

He turned up, connected jump pack, and wahhhey! Ignition and started 1st time. Waiting 10mins, took off n she cut out. hmmmm.

using a volt meter saw only 6 going thru it without jump pack. i then got recovered to home.

surely this would be a charging problem? Yesterday i bought new battery n fitted it. Works fine, but i want peace of mind that there isnt a charging prob. my garage have said that without a volt meter i could try starting engine keeping ticking over, headlights on and as i rev headlight will appear brighter if bike is charging battery. to be honest, in my opinion nothing changed.

Does anyone have any advice or been through this? if i buy a volt meter im presuming that it should be 12 after starting and 12 before? would that prove everything ok?

Many Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Do you have a copy of the XV 250 service manual. If not email me and i will send a copy over. On page 251 it shows how to test the charging system.

I test mine with a simple multimeter, Set multimeter to DC20V and then rev the bike to 5,000, the multimeter should show 14-15V if the charging unit is working ok.

Regards

Dan

Hi Tom,

Do you have a copy of the XV 250 service manual. If not email me and i will send a copy over. On page 251 it shows how to test the charging system.

I test mine with a simple multimeter, Set multimeter to DC20V and then rev the bike to 5,000, the multimeter should show 14-15V if the charging unit is working ok.

Regards

Dan

Hi dan thanks for the reply.

I have the 125 not 250. I am watching a service manual on ebay, as i dont have one and i intend to go to maplins to grab a multimeter today.

how i do no when i have reached 5,000 revs? no techometer

Hi dan thanks for the reply.

I have the 125 not 250. I am watching a service manual on ebay, as i dont have one and i intend to go to maplins to grab a multimeter today.

how i do no when i have reached 5,000 revs? no techometer

Hi,

I dont have a tacho either but i just give it some revs and the voltage should go up. I guessed at this as the engine idling speed is around 1250 -1350 rpm. So i just guessed at twice the revs.

Send me your email and i will send over the service manual to you.

I have a XV 125 but other than the engine size the frame and electrical section are exaclty the same. I used the XV250 service manual to fix my bike. it really helps.

I'm not sure there ever was an official XV 125 service manual made by Yamaha?

Regards

Daniel

Hi,

I dont have a tacho either but i just give it some revs and the voltage should go up. I guessed at this as the engine idling speed is around 1250 -1350 rpm. So i just guessed at twice the revs.

Send me your email and i will send over the service manual to you.

I have a XV 125 but other than the engine size the frame and electrical section are exaclty the same. I used the XV250 service manual to fix my bike. it really helps.

I'm not sure there ever was an official XV 125 service manual made by Yamaha?

Regards

Daniel

Hi thanks for your support, just sent u an IM. Tom

Earth or regulator. The 5k revs is a very good test and the symptoms sound about right for the regulator. This is a common fault on a lot of bikes (check any SV650 website for regulator/rectifier problems) and a lot are interchangeable if you want to mess with wires. Basically the charging system "leaks" charge at revs so it runs the battery down until it is buggered.

Do the tests and, if you are satisfied it is the Reg, there are new ones available like THIS

I'm also thinking the reg/rec.

yeah reg/rect here too oh and pm me ur e-mail.....il send u a manual if u want :D

thankyou all for your kind replies. i bought a multimeter. 12v when ignition on, 14 when started....so i think it looks ok and was just battery. Thanks for all your help.

Tom

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online