Mikuni Carb on TZR 125

telstar2105
This post is 4792 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all

Am looking form a little bit of help and advice.

I have a TZR 125 2RK with a mikuni carb fitted. I have cleaned the carb out and set it according to the Haynes manual. When I fitted it back to the bike it was fine untill I had given the bike a run and then the float stuck and it leaked petrol every where from the float chamber overflow. I then tried a second carb that had been removed from a spare frame. This gave me the same problem. If I tap the float chamber then the leak stops but I don't think that both of the carbs are likely to have faulty needle valves. Has anyone else had similar problems and if so could you suggest anything for me to try.

Thanks

Terry

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all

Am looking form a little bit of help and advice.

I have a TZR 125 2RK with a mikuni carb fitted. I have cleaned the carb out and set it according to the Haynes manual. When I fitted it back to the bike it was fine untill I had given the bike a run and then the float stuck and it leaked petrol every where from the float chamber overflow. I then tried a second carb that had been removed from a spare frame. This gave me the same problem. If I tap the float chamber then the leak stops but I don't think that both of the carbs are likely to have faulty needle valves. Has anyone else had similar problems and if so could you suggest anything for me to try.

Thanks

Terry

First a question, why clean the carb out in the first place?

If tapping the carb stops it the float needle may well be perfectly ok, could you have inadvertently bent something that may cause the floats to stick? Did you check the floats themselves?, they can perish and loose some boyancy.

First a question, why clean the carb out in the first place?

If tapping the carb stops it the float needle may well be perfectly ok, could you have inadvertently bent something that may cause the floats to stick? Did you check the floats themselves?, they can perish and loose some boyancy.

thanks for the reply

The carb was cleaned out because whoever I had bought the bike off had fitted some cheap pipe to the fuel system which perished and was breaking up internally.

I will check that nothing is bent over the weekend but i had a clean work space on the table much to my wifes displeasure.

What is the best way to check the floats to see if they have lost buoyancy and if they have will altering the arm that works the needle cure this.

Sorry if the questions seem daft but never done much with carbs before, normaly just leave them alone if they working.

could you have put the floats in upside down?

There is usually a bent piece of the brass metal that rests on one of the float pivot pillars when the level is low or empty, this stops the float from dropping too far and allowing the float needle to rock and jam in it's guide bush.

seems strange that 2 separate carbs ave jammed on you..... have you got a filter between tank and carb? could just be some dirt in the fuel tank causing the needle valve in the float to stick.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online