Whats gone wrong

markusj
This post is 4783 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I love my bike to bits but I'll openly admit I'm useless when it comes to knowing about it.

On that note I have an issue....

When I'm on the bike it feels as though there is a clicking as the wheels go round, it feels at the front but also when I pull up it seems either the radiator thing at the front or the engine is smoking.

Any clues? Ta

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi markus " is it steam ? maybe, & the ticking is only when engine warm, ? cud be a small leak ;)

And that clicking cud be chain , what condition is it in? are the sprockets hooked, ?

I am leaning towards the brakes option, they were changed as part of my MOT just before christmas and I've never had this problem before.

It isn't a steam kind of smoke as it has a burning smell, hope its not the brakes :(

If it is the brakes the smell is not nice at all. Riding will be dangerous and can damage (warp) the disk. This is a common problem with bikes that have been laid up over the winter where the callipers have not been serviced for a while. That is if it is the disks.

• 2 weeks later...

You"l find FZr brake calipers at breakers, service them, seals & pistons, Wheres the oil leak ? gear shaft ?

Ok got the bike back today, full verdict is that the calipers need rebuilding.

The bike is probably only worth £400+ I'd say so not sure whether its worth just getting a newer one.

Caliper seals are easy to change. It is just the chance of seized bolts that could be a problem. Normally 2 rubber hoops per piston. plus some brake fluid, anti seize brake grease and bobs you Uncle. Not hard to do.

Linky

:) Thank you.

So it theory it shouldn't really be an expensive job?

As much as I love my bike I'm very useless when it comes to keeping it maintained. I've never been shown etc what to look out for, how to take things off and clean. On that my FIL (father-in-law) suggested going to West Midlands Motorcycles. Taking it round tomorrow for them to have a look.

Safety is number one priority. Remember that a main dealer will cost the earth but a bodge job could cost your life. Meaning you are taking the bike to a dealer guarantees nothing (except a big bill). I know dealers who have cross threaded a drain plug on the first service and tried to bodge it. Who "forgot" to reconnect rear brakes after a service etc.

Do you have a mate who does their own mechanics who can show you?

Have a look HERE

This shows you the basics. Problems you come across are seized brake nipples that can shear and if you have duel pot pistons, one piston comes out and the other does not. There is a simple technique to stop this from happening.

Thankfully my FIL is a die-hard biker and he suggested these other guys so I'm happy to trust his judgement.

I'll read over the link you've sent and see what I can learn.

I do have some biker mates at work so good suggestion, I'll ask them :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online