Trading decibels for trouble

TonyV2Power
This post is 4693 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I wish to change the standard exhaust for a pair of pipes that make the XVS1300 sound off loud.

The helpfull guys at Custom Wizard (Sheffield, stockists of H&H) could not say if my ECU would need remapping ( a gizmo called a Power Commander .....bl***dy expensive and MAY be needed). So any one out there tried these pipes....without screwing up the performace of the bike? by the by, this model is fuel injected.

Appreciate your input.

Regards

Tony

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I think you will need to re-map... you may be able to get the power-command cheaper from the US? I believe Midnight61 (one here) obtained both his pipes and a power commander for the price of the pipes in the UK. Maybe send him a PM for more details. (Man his pipes are LOUD!)

Also, as much as I rate Custom Wizards, checkout SSCustomcycle.com over in the US to get an idea of different prices. Don't forget there's shipping, import tax AND VAT to add on it all (and the taxes are added to the shipping as well as the product value), but from my experiences you can still save a few hundred). Also I cannot recommend Shane at SS enough

Graham

I think you will need to re-map... you may be able to get the power-command cheaper from the US? I believe Midnightstar (one here) obtained both his pipes and a power commander for the price of the pipes in the UK. Maybe send him a PM for more details. (Man his pipes are LOUD!)

Also, as much as I rate Custom Wizrds, checkout SSCustomcycle.com over in the US to get an idea of different prices. Don't forget there's shipping, import tax AND VAT to add on it all (and the taxes are added to the shipping as well as the product value), but from my experiences you can still save a few hundred). Also I cannot recommend Shane at SS enough

Graham

I think you will need to re-map... you may be able to get the power-command cheaper from the US? I believe Midnight61 (one here) obtained both his pipes and a power commander for the price of the pipes in the UK. Maybe send him a PM for more details. (Man his pipes are LOUD!)

Also, as much as I rate Custom Wizards, checkout SSCustomcycle.com over in the US to get an idea of different prices. Don't forget there's shipping, import tax AND VAT to add on it all (and the taxes are added to the shipping as well as the product value), but from my experiences you can still save a few hundred). Also I cannot recommend Shane at SS enough

Graham

Thanks for the info Graham, I have business links with the US, so sourcing/shipping might not be so much of a challenge. If I get round to doing this, I will post my experience on the forum. Thanks again.

Tony

• 3 months later...

I`m new here but saw this post & thought I`d add something. I have a xvs1300 with Highway Hawk fat pipes but original airbox & filter. These ones have a lambda sensor mounting point for the original sensor to fit into. Before purchasing the pipes, I asked if I needed an ECU mod & was told that just changing the pipes wouldn`t need it as the stock ECU would make any adjustments required by using the sensor info. Had the pipes on for about 12 months & can honestly say I`ve not noticed any difference to the running.

Watford??!!

You not gone to see the guys at Colin Collins, either in Watford or Harrow?

They used to be pretty good, although I haven't lived in that part of the world for almost a decade now...

Watford??!!

You not gone to see the guys at Colin Collins, either in Watford or Harrow?

They used to be pretty good, although I haven't lived in that part of the world for almost a decade now...

both RIP mate hardly any bike shops in harrow like colin collins only small garages.

dont think they do exhausts for these bikes well not aftermarket ones probably need a custom exhaust built.

RIP??!!

But.... but..... I used to live down the road that CC in Harrow is on the corner!!

I would pass that place at least twice every single day and drool over some of the fantastic machines they always had out the front!!

Dammitt.

What about the Yammaha place on Kenton Road, Harrow - South side, between Rushout Ave and Churchill Ave?

I wish to change the standard exhaust for a pair of pipes that make the XVS1300 sound off loud.

The helpfull guys at Custom Wizard (Sheffield, stockists of H&H) could not say if my ECU would need remapping ( a gizmo called a Power Commander .....bl***dy expensive and MAY be needed). So any one out there tried these pipes....without screwing up the performace of the bike? by the by, this model is fuel injected.

Appreciate your input.

Regards

Tony

Tony,

Just a word of caution. My previous bike was a Kawasaki VN900 and I modified it with, Cobra Slashdowns a PowerCommander V and an Autotune x2 O2 sensors and a K&N air filter and had an expert set it up. It ran like a bag of spanners!!!

Hence I arrived here with a XVS1300a!

My advice to you would be to consider putting the original O2 sensors in the new pipes, that gives the ECU a fighting chance, or alternatively O2 eliminators, they can be sourced here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Oxygen-o2-sensor-eliminator-Yamaha-Midnight-Star-1300-/260667189701?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3cb0f9a9c5

Either way because of emission control and noise pollution MOT's can be an issue, when I enquired at my local dealer about getting an MOT, he just laughed and said "No way with those exhausts"!

If it does run too lean it will damage your engine over time.

One of the main issues with a V twin is that the cylinders run at very different temperatures, hence the need for the O2 sensors they measure the gasses and adjust the fuelling accordingly.

Given what I now know if I was going to do it again I would get a import that doesn't have the o2 sensors!

If you screw with the ECU, it'll screw with you, is what you haave to remember!

If you were to go with the PowerCommander V and the twin sensor Autotune (Harley Davidson setup) and a K&N filter it would be almost essential for it to be setup on a rolling road, it only has to be done once!

Good luck!

Regards

Graham