wheels not aligned - twisted forks?

cheerfulgrin
This post is 4669 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All,

i recently bought a YBR 125 and have just found that the front and rear wheel are not aligned properly.

the rear wheel is ok, however the front seems to be over to the left slightly. i know the bike has been involved in a slight accident, but being a category C i thought that it would be straight.

from what i have read, it should be fairly simple to fix this by slackening both of the fork clamps at the top and pulling everything straight then re-tightening.

is it really this simple to fix or are there other things i should be considering too?

i havent had a go at the forks yet, will do it tonight, but if anyone has any ideas on what else i should be looking for to indicate more serious damage, i would love to hear your thoughts,

thanks

Rob

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi All,

i recently bought a YBR 125 and have just found that the front and rear wheel are not aligned properly.

the rear wheel is ok, however the front seems to be over to the left slightly. i know the bike has been involved in a slight accident, but being a category C i thought that it would be straight.

from what i have read, it should be fairly simple to fix this by slackening both of the fork clamps at the top and pulling everything straight then re-tightening.

is it really this simple to fix or are there other things i should be considering too?

i havent had a go at the forks yet, will do it tonight, but if anyone has any ideas on what else i should be looking for to indicate more serious damage, i would love to hear your thoughts,

thanks

Rob

rob, speciaist area really, it could be the yolks got twisted or one stantion bent backwards. depending on severity, slacken the clamp on that side and bounce a few times and retighten. you may need to take it to a motorliner jig place who have all the necessary info and tools to do the job

Check for creases and or folds in the stanchion tubes.bent crown bolts are always a sign some thing is wrong,check the wheel for damage.make sure there are no cracks in the front of the frame,check the front wheel axle is straight.my rule of thumb is always reckon that if you have to ask if something is safe,it likely isn't. Probably book it into a garage to get them to look at it as you don't want to miss some thing vital.

Are you sure the rear is aligned properly, the alignment marks can be a bit rough and ready, best way to check is with a long straight edge. There is a procedure for this I can scan and email you if you want. As a quick check you can sight along the chain line from the back of the bike if you remove the guard.

If the stanchions are bent though they are unlikely to be that bad that a crease is evident. the only real test is complete disassembly and check them on a flat surface, not a job for the inexperienced. thats why you should be sure of the back end.

This is a chain drive. Are you 100% sure the back wheel is not the culprit? I've see spacers on the wrong side making it impossible to get correct alignment.

thanks for the advice everyone.

i took it to the bike shop in the end cos the forks didnt look too bad, low and behold the frame was twisted, under the tank, top out by 1.5 inches!!

very luckily, the fella i bought off was a good guy and promtly refunded my money! he was just as shocked as me to find out.

anyway, sadly this means i am no longer the owner of a YBR, but instead have just bought a 2008 CG125 copy, the Wuyang 125-16c, really catchy name!! lol

if they are anything like the CG i should be ok with it, but i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

so over i go to the dark side of chinese assembled bikes :blink:

• 3 months later...

well, i am very glad to say i am back as a yamaha owner!

sadly, it seems all the bad stuff they tell you about chink bikes is true!!!

after a long dramatic and educational story i am no longer the owner of the wuyang cg copy and have just bought a 2010 YBR 125, its good to know i am riding something that wont be clapped out and falling apart after 5k miles!! looking forward to some sunny weather now :blink:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online