Ex sidecar

Dom660
This post is 4819 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, a quick question, I recently bought a XS400,for some reason I'm not able to roll the bike backwards while in gear with the clutch pulled in?. The guy who previously owned it before said there had once been a sidecar on the bike, is this problem due to having been set up for a sidecar?.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

sounds like clutch drag too me make sure it is adjusted properly, start by winding the cable adjuster on the lever right in, then go to the adjuster on the engine casing release lock nut adjust the screw in untilit touches the pushrod then back off 1/4 of a turn nipup lock nut while holding the screw so it dies not move , then go back to the lever and makesure you have at least 5/10 mm of free play at the lever

merv

Hi Merv, I dont think its clutch drag, as I can easily roll forwards in gear with the clutch in but just not backwards, it almost seems like an anti roll back mechanism in there somewhere?

I think they all do that, why you want to push the bike back with the bike in gear and engine off (i assume)?

Its just a bit odd, today is the first time I managed to get the bike going, so I had a blip round the yard, its only then when turning the bike around I noticed I couldnt roll backwards whilst in gear, I havent tried with the engine off as yet, but I thought i'd try and see if you guys had experianced this.

I've experienced the same 3 times. Wanted for example to go left from my house, but in the last deceided to go right. So step a little back while in first gear. Can it have anything to do with the kickstart assembly? The spring is my assembly was not powerful anymore so sometimes a heard some "tooth scraping". The kickstart connects with the first gear, doesn't it? Just a mindspin...

I think its just clutch drag, and your going against the direction of the clutch which exasperates the issue!

hey hornix did you like the picture I sent you of your dad in retro?

Exactly as Drewps and I say clutch drag , it will roll forward easily with the engine running as the engine is assisting it

trying to go backwards with the engine running you are fighting the engine

Merv

The 3 times it happened to me were different. I could push the bike back for about a meter and then it feld like someone put a wooden stick in my wheel. Sudden stop. Like something completely blocked in the gearbox.

and Drewpy....I'm sorry ;)

No I'm with Hornix, it feels exactly as he described as if something is physically jamming and stopping the bike from moving backwards, its not gradual its immediate. There isn't a kickstart on there at the moment so I'm not sure on that scenario.

damn i didnt know you could get a side car for an xs400. I WANT ONEEEEEEEEEE!! heh

skip to 52 seconds

Where times so hard you had to turn out bins to find food ii them days then Drewps :lol: :lol: :lol:

twas a dark day in combe martin :rolleyes:

@Hornix, you really don't want a sidecar for the xs. It'll never get over 70 :)

i used to have the exact same outfit on my xs 250, im told the 250 was better geared for it somehow :blink: .

unfortunately i dont have any photos to post up...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online