Yamaha RXS 100. Year 1992

Bikerman86
This post is 2886 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am in need of advice on some problems I have been having with my RXS 100.

Firstly It,s a 6VOLT system,which I am told is a bit more problematic than 12volt system,But its my first bike and It a good one bike to start with.

The problems I have been having are this: Indicators do not work properly. I have bought new bulbs and fitted them and no difference.

I checked the earth wires for faults and found that two earth wires under the seat that both

wires had no tips on them for a proper connection (exposed wire ends). I will get tips tomorrow and try again.

( I have been told it could be a bad earth or a faulty relay)

Another problem is the headlights: When I select Full Headlights,The dipped Headlights come on and vice versa.

Could someone please advise me on what to do and If anyone has had similar experiences with an RXS 100.

Email me

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

When you say the indicators don't work properly do you mean they come on but don't flash or just don't come on at all ? .You should have two wires coming from each indicator a black which is earth and a brown or green depending on left or right. If the wires that have been cut under the seat are the black for the rear indicators then this could be your problem as you need both front and rear indicators in circuit to work i.e flash .For the headlamp I would start by removing the headlamp from the shell and make sure the bulb is correctly located in headlamp as there is usually a locating lug on the bulb so it will only fit one way and checking the wires from the bulb holder match the correct colour wires in the headlamp shell. Tony.

I am in need of advice on some problems I have been having with my RXS 100.

Firstly It,s a 6VOLT system,which I am told is a bit more problematic than 12volt system,But its my first bike and It a good one bike to start with.

The problems I have been having are this: Indicators do not work properly. I have bought new bulbs and fitted them and no difference.

I checked the earth wires for faults and found that two earth wires under the seat that both

wires had no tips on them for a proper connection (exposed wire ends). I will get tips tomorrow and try again.

( I have been told it could be a bad earth or a faulty relay)

Another problem is the headlights: When I select Full Headlights,The dipped Headlights come on and vice versa.

Could someone please advise me on what to do and If anyone has had similar experiences with an RXS 100.

Email me

Hi & Welcome to the forum

adding new bulbs may be problematic without checking the wattage of the relay. back in the day there was a 'fix' for the indicators not flashing at the correct rate :- fitting lower wattage bulbs & relay. So if you fit 10w bulbs & have an 8w flasher can, they will not flash (just stay on).

To test a relay :-

1) Ensure the battery is well charged

2) Remove the relay from it's rubber band

3) Turn the indicators on

4) if they stay on tap the relay .. if they flash when you tap the relay then replace the relay & ensure the bulbs match the wattage of the new can - job done

else you have earth problems which may stem from either the bulb holders or naff wiring on the earth to each indicator.

Headlight problem sounds like a badly fitted bulb or someone has plugged a blue wire into a yellow or vice versa

Regards Jim

Hi & Welcome to the forum

adding new bulbs may be problematic without checking the wattage of the relay. back in the day there was a 'fix' for the indicators not flashing at the correct rate :- fitting lower wattage bulbs & relay. So if you fit 10w bulbs & have an 8w flasher can, they will not flash (just stay on).

To test a relay :-

1) Ensure the battery is well charged

2) Remove the relay from it's rubber band

3) Turn the indicators on

4) if they stay on tap the relay .. if they flash when you tap the relay then replace the relay & ensure the bulbs match the wattage of the new can - job done

else you have earth problems which may stem from either the bulb holders or naff wiring on the earth to each indicator.

Headlight problem sounds like a badly fitted bulb or someone has plugged a blue wire into a yellow or vice versa

Regards Jim

Hi Jim

Thanks for the welcome and for the prompt reply.

I will follow your instructions and get back to you when i have tried this out.

Much appreciated

Regards Tom

When you say the indicators don't work properly do you mean they come on but don't flash or just don't come on at all ? .You should have two wires coming from each indicator a black which is earth and a brown or green depending on left or right. If the wires that have been cut under the seat are the black for the rear indicators then this could be your problem as you need both front and rear indicators in circuit to work i.e flash .For the headlamp I would start by removing the headlamp from the shell and make sure the bulb is correctly located in headlamp as there is usually a locating lug on the bulb so it will only fit one way and checking the wires from the bulb holder match the correct colour wires in the headlamp shell. Tony.

Hi Tony

Thank you for your prompt reply.

The indicators dont come on at the moment at all. when i first noticed the problem some of the indicators flashed,but very faintly. others not at all. after finding the two bare earth wires and taking them out of their connectors and putting them back in again ( i do not have connector heads for the wires yet) now they will not come on at all.

I will follow your instructions and get back to you when i have tried it.

Much appreciated.

Regards Tom

Sounds like you have some bad connectors. First thing to do is get some proper connectors on the end and make sure they are not corroded. The wires are all colour coded so should go into the same coloured wires in the loom remembering that Black is earth on Yamaha's .Also as JimR said check the battery making sure it is topped up with distilled water up to the upper mark on the side of the battery and fully charged .DON'T use a car charger you will kill the battery.Do the indicators work with the engine running ? Tony

• 1 year later...

The prob you are having is pretty normal for a rxs . I have the same issue with mine all the time . The electrical system on them are rubbish. I`m looking into converting mine to 12v as i`m so fed up with having to recharge the battery all the time and having the indicators dull all the time . just replace your flasher and make sure the battery is fully charged and check all the earth points . When you have had enough of doing that look in to conversion !

• 4 years later...

I am having this issue too. My headlamp only works on full beam. Indicators don't work at all but after reading this thread im guessing this is because there are no front indicators. Also taillight doesnt work. Brake light works but no tail light.

Im tempted to pull it all apart and rebuild from the bottom up but i want to get it back on the road asap.

Any advice? Im not a moron but bike looms baffle me. If i can break it down into smaller sections it will be easier. I guess if i rewire the bike I'll know exactly how it works and how to fix any fault. I am far from impressed with the lighting on this bike but it is what it is. Could make it 12v i suppose. Involved winding more copper wire around stator or something.....theres loads of vids on YouTube

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

You might want to do a new thread. You will get a better response.

Plenty of people will help. If the bike is somthing you plan on keeping then a 12v upgrade may be the way foreward.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online