DT175 mx 1978

clivew1965
This post is 4838 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

Names Clive form Uk down in Somerset.Age 45

Been riding since i was 17, current bikes are Ducati 748s and XJR1200 and the DT175mx. Hopefully getting a TS250 or DT360 in a few weeks.

Purchased the DT175 a few days ago but its performance is poo. Flat out in 6 you struggle to achieve 50 mph. Ive ajusted the carb and its a bit better but not what i remember the Dt175 to be like. It has a big one exaust so not sure if the jets are standard but will check. and will probably put original exaust on. Its very tidy but i will strp it and restore as i can get work done for next to nowt but i dont know that much about engines and carbs, only the basics. It slows down if you change into 6th gear? Will check all sprockets are correct 2mos.td9T5gBm0KGrHqZiIE0GYjm3DGBNNCqkMMw_12.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

HMM nice, don't see many of them. Original condition, transfers the lot.

She may be a little down on oomph but they haven't a staggering amount to start with and looking at your stable the starter motor on the XJR probably has more power :lol:

Welcome to the farm, at this rate we'll need a 175 section soon.

Tin of BBQ paint wuldn't hurt though....

Hi Clive

Welcome to the forum, i suppose it could be a number of things, first thing i would look at is the carb and the fuel tap .If its been left there could be crud in the main jet or not enough fuel being delivered to the carb, it also could be the main end seal that are failing, usually the generator side as they will run dry and go hard over time. Alternatively it may be the air filter being blocked or as you say just not jetted right.

Good luck with the DT360 and when you get some pictures please add some on, just starting my resto on my DT360, not posted any pics yet but i will once i start to get bits back.

Cheers TTB

Ok think i may have found the problem, although i cannot confirm as it has been stripped to the bare frame and i have purchased £300 worth of new parts. The main jet was only a 120 and it is supposed to be 130 standard. I have ordered a 130 and 140 to test when its back together. The engine sounds sweet but i want to pressure check the barrel and have it cleaned anyrate. Frame and swing are being powder coated this week with new swing are bushes. Replacing all bolts with stainless steel and having various bits cleaned up and resprayed. Leaving the side panels and tank as they are for now may do them at alater date. I think within a month i may have it all back together :o)Perks of my Job :o))))

Feel free to look at some of my other restorations on bikepics.com under clive wheatley. Nice original DT400c on there as well as a few TS185 and 250s

Ok think i may have found the problem, although i cannot confirm as it has been stripped to the bare frame and i have purchased £300 worth of new parts. The main jet was only a 120 and it is supposed to be 130 standard. I have ordered a 130 and 140 to test when its back together. The engine sounds sweet but i want to pressure check the barrel and have it cleaned anyrate. Frame and swing are being powder coated this week with new swing are bushes. Replacing all bolts with stainless steel and having various bits cleaned up and resprayed. Leaving the side panels and tank as they are for now may do them at alater date. I think within a month i may have it all back together :o)Perks of my Job :o))))

Feel free to look at some of my other restorations on bikepics.com under clive wheatley. Nice original DT400c on there as well as a few TS185 and 250s

Sounds like a pretty awesome job you've got :o

:( Oh, youve spoilt it now. It will just be another 'full resto'. All its history, the genuine patina that comes from being cared for properly for 30years that is unique to that motorcycle is ripped away for that just finished look.

Its your bike to do just as you feel i'm not having a go. It just greives me when genuine tidy bikes that have lasted this long get the restored treatment. I feel like something's lost. My TDR could be made concourse easily but it would ruin what it is, the decals have crazed slightly with age etc, i dunno, its got something, call it soul if you want. But there is an extra something to the original the resto's loose.

:( Oh, youve spoilt it now. It will just be another 'full resto'. All its history, the genuine patina that comes from being cared for properly for 30years that is unique to that motorcycle is ripped away for that just finished look.

Its your bike to do just as you feel i'm not having a go. It just greives me when genuine tidy bikes that have lasted this long get the restored treatment. I feel like something's lost. My TDR could be made concourse easily but it would ruin what it is, the decals have crazed slightly with age etc, i dunno, its got something, call it soul if you want. But there is an extra something to the original the resto's loose.

Not so the frame is hand painted in places as is the total swing arm. That said i am keeping all the original bits. The swing arm joint is rusted solid and will need some serious heat to remove it. It will def not be a full restoration because of what you described. I just want to make it tidy.

Not so the frame is hand painted in places as is the total swing arm. That said i am keeping all the original bits. The swing arm joint is rusted solid and will need some serious heat to remove it. It will def not be a full restoration because of what you described. I just want to make it tidy.

Ah man after my own heart. One tip though.

Heat on the sw arm is a waste of time. The spindle will have rusted and this rust fills the space in the bush jamming it solid. Best bet is cutting it out to save the frame abuse and then replace the bushes etc.

If you strip out the bike sufficient to get a good old fasioned hacksaw in, then cut through the top hats and the spindle. Then when the arms on the bench/vice beat the crap out the spindle/bush assy and it will reluctantly come out as one. Thats my exp anyway.

no offence if your fully aware of this. Looks like you know what your doing.

Hi Clive

Nice TS185 farm bike on bike pics, i used to drool over one in one of the bike shop windows, and yes i think you where mad to sell the DT400, awesome bike there.

TTB

Hi Clive

Nice TS185 farm bike on bike pics, i used to drool over one in one of the bike shop windows, and yes i think you where mad to sell the DT400, awesome bike there.

TTB

Thanks Tommy, unfortunatly i needed the cash at that time. Not sure what to do about the Dt360 it needs alot of work. Perhaps you may sell yours,lol

Thanks Tommy, unfortunatly i needed the cash at that time. Not sure what to do about the Dt360 it needs alot of work. Perhaps you may sell yours,lol

:lol: :lol: I dont often sell bikes, just finished the resto of my DT1 and did a full resto on my XT500 last year, ( featured in december issue classic motorcycle mechanic ). What do you need for your 360 i have a few spare engines and some other bits i may have spare, i take it that its a DT360A and not the earlier RT360.

PM me if you want.

Cheers TTB

you tube markcoppersmith there is a vid of my running dt360

http://www.youtube.com/user/markcoppersmith#p/u/3/hJORwlNXSQE

:lol: :lol: I dont often sell bikes, just finished the resto of my DT1 and did a full resto on my XT500 last year, ( featured in december issue classic motorcycle mechanic ). What do you need for your 360 i have a few spare engines and some other bits i may have spare, i take it that its a DT360A and not the earlier RT360.

PM me if you want.

Cheers TTB

you tube markcoppersmith there is a vid of my running dt360

http://www.youtube.com/user/markcoppersmith#p/u/3/hJORwlNXSQE

IMG_15632.jpg

IMG_15632.jpg

If thats your bike its better than what i have started with, is it for sale.

TTB

yes £1500 he wants for it.

Its a fair bit of money but it wouldnt take much to sort, mine was £500 off flebay.

Will get mine sorted first.

TTB

Its a fair bit of money but it wouldnt take much to sort, mine was £500 off flebay.

Will get mine sorted first.

TTB

Ive always wanted the DT360, had a 400 but just didnt like it. The 360 is supposed to be the better bike. Not sure what to do at the moment.

Ive always wanted the DT360, had a 400 but just didnt like it. The 360 is supposed to be the better bike. Not sure what to do at the moment.

Arh well , I cant help you make your mind up, but they do ride well and i cant wait to get mine on the road this summer.

I will have my DT1E on the road as well but its mainly because i have had to get it motd and insured just to get it registered.

Go for it but see if you can get it for less £1200 would be a good price

Chers TTB

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online